Newt [11.2]

The boys eyes flickered open to the sky beginning to turn a dark shade of purple. The Glade smelled of fresh dew from the rainfall, and he immediately felt the cold which resided from the night. His admiration for the surroundings was broken when he heard some snickering from behind him. Newt turned his head to see Thomas, Minho, and Alby all standing together above him. His eyes met Alby's whose face was plastered with anger. The tension was broken as Minho leaned in.

"Are you sure she's still alive? If she is, I think she might be knocked out from your nasty smell." The boy cracked, trying not to laugh absurdly loud as the girl was still sleeping.

"Bloody hell, Minho. Shush!" He said back groggily, looking down to the girl who was contently sleeping. Alby cleared his throat.

"You. Council hall, now." Alby retorted condescendingly.

"A-Alby, she's sleeping." Newt complained.

"Now!" The tall man yelled back, walking away. Newt awkwardly got out of the hammock, attempting not to wake the girl who was glued to his body. To his surprise, he managed to get out of the hammock without waking her, and he walked shamefully towards the meeting room.

The lanky boy shyly opened the door to the small building to find Alby sitting inside.

"What were you thinking, Newt?" He asked sternly.

"I-I don't know... I'm afraid of storms and I just..." He paused, locking eyes with Alby.

"When she was with me, It all went away, Alby. I mean the feeling I had when I..." Alby stopped the boy from continuing.

"You're telling me she made you feel better?" He asked in disbelief, standing up.

"Y-yeah." The boy cowered. Though he knew he could trust Alby with the knowledge of his dark past, it still felt uncomfortable to bring up.

"In that case, I'm sorry I got so upset with you. I figured you took advantage of having to share the hammock last night. I just don't want any conflict between the other boys." He said, rubbing his head.

"I understand." Newt said back. An awkward silence fell over them.

"I was thinking that maybe you and Y/N should share a room in the homestead once Gally is done with the changes." He said suddenly.

"R-really?" Newt was taken by surprise.

"Yes. I trust you and the other boy's respect you. And if she is making you feel better, then it's probably the best option—" He stopped.

"Thank you, Alby." Newt said, and Alby nodded. Just as Newt placed his hand on the door, Alby spoke up.

"Hey, Newt?" He asked, the blonde haired boy turned around.

"Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you." He said. Newt nodded with a soft smile. Ever since he jumped from that wall, Alby was always at his side. But, it seemed like to matter what he did, Newt never got better. He just existed, taking care of everyone else. However, now Alby could see a change in the blonde. Maybe, just maybe, his best medicine was her.

When Newt found his way back to the hammocks, most of the Gladers had risen and we're off to breakfast. To both his dismay, and slight relief, his hammock was empty. The good news was that if he failed to confess his feelings, he could fall back on the fact that he had to tell her about sharing a room sooner or later. So, he tossed the hoodie from the night before into the hammock and walked off into the Glade.

It was as if everyones attention was stuck on Newt. Some boys snickered, some whistled mockingly, and others muttered things under their breath. He understood where Alby was coming from now. Most of the boys wouldn't really care about the sharing situation, but some would begin to resent Newt for it. But after seeing as how she somehow managed to suppress the darkness in his heart by simply laying at his side, the jealousy of the other boys was the least of Newt's worries.