Newt [38]

"Listen, love. I'm not one to pry in others business because I wouldn't want anyone involved in mine." He pulled a chair up beside Y/N in the maproom and pushed her dinner in front of her. "But you need to tell us how we can help you. If you don't want to say what's going on, that's fine. You have to tell me what you need, though."

"I don't know—" She closed her eyes and lowered her head. She truly didn't know what she needed right now. All of this was so confusing and she was scared. A few weeks ago, she'd passed out while running in the maze. The next thing she knew, she was back in the medjack hut waking up three days later thanks to Minho having found her. In that time, she'd gotten a lot of memories back. In the same time though, had become riddled with horrifying nightmares that never went away.

Newt lift his hand up as if he were going to reach over the edge of the table and grab Y/N's hand, but he hesitated. "You've been hiding in here for weeks, only leaving for the maze in the morning. Minho says you've been slowing down lately and aren't focused. Something is wrong."

Y/N wished she could just show Newt what was going on instead of having to explain it. Her head was so scrambled since that day in the maze and had no idea why. The only explanation was the creators, but even then, what was the point of trying to make sense of it? They lived in a stone box surrounded by a maze and once every month some random person was sent up to join their midst. Anything could happen here.

"I just need to sleep," She found a manageable goal, admitting some kind of defeat. "I haven't had more than a couple hours rest since the nightmares started—"

"Nightmares?" Newt intervened and looked for further elaboration. "More than normal?"

"Yeah," Y/N whispered with a little squeak. "Bad ones. They're so real and I don't know whether I'm dreaming or—that's why I stay here, in the maproom. I know then that if I'm anywhere else, it's not real."

Newt knit his brows and scanned Y/N's exhausted face. It made sense now why she stayed here. If she could eliminate herself from being anywhere else while during waking hours, she'd be easier able to identify when in a dream. Though, she shouldn't have to. Newt could tell that all of the time in here was isolating and she was becoming lonely. That loneliness surely was only furthering her distortion of reality and of the people around her. In her own mind right now, she probably thought there was no one she could reach out to for help.

"Here, how about this," Newt put his hands on his legs and rubbed them, releasing some nervous energy. He'd obviously forgotten to breathe because his cheeks were ever so slightly tinged red now and he needed a second to take in a sharp breath. "You can stay with me tonight and see if anything changes. If not, we'll try something else."

"No, it's okay." Y/N swiped at her nose. "I don't want to keep you awake."

Newt leaned back a little and raised his chin, looking to the girl with a lifted brow. "You don't think I've already been losing sleep over this?"

Y/N paused. She thought for a moment then looked up to meet his eyes. "What?"

"Yes, Y/N," Newt now leaned forward and this time actually reached for Y/N's hand. "I care about you. I'm worried and I want this to get better but I'm not letting you fight it alone, alright?"

The girl stared at her hand in his. It felt so foreign. Yet, at the same time, her entire being knew it was what she needed. Right there, she nearly broke down entirely. Normally, she'd continue to fight Newt and refuse his help. But right now, she was too tired to even try. She was happy to take any suggestion he gave. Though it felt impossible, Y/N tried to gather herself for just a while longer. Gripping that hand in hers, she nod and whispered a quiet "okay."