Frypan [1]

It was beautiful outside. The day had been long and hot and everyone was exhausted. But this evening, there wasn't even the slightest breeze and the warm air still roamed around in the Glade. It was too nice of a night to pass up and sleep away. Y/N wanted to stay up and watch as the stars slowly broke from their shyness and made an appearance. She wanted to talk and laugh late into the night, possibly to only fall victim to sleep right before dawn broke.

So, after dinner while everyone mulled around the fire before bed, she went asking around in search of friends ambitious enough to take on the night.

Frypan watched as Y/N jumped from person to person, more often than not being kindly declined by tired faces and aching bodies. When she walked past the kitchen, it was Newt she tried to convince.

"Newt? C'mon, you'd never pass this sort of thing up." She tried her best to remind Newt of his adventurous side. Though most often buried, it was there.

Newt smiled softly and sighed. "Normally I wouldn't, but I have a lot of work in the gardens tomorrow so I'm getting up early. Sorry, love. Another time?"

"That's okay!" Y/N let him go with a smile on her face, but quickly shifted her attention to continuing the search.

Fry still watched as she asked person after person, even resorting to requesting the company of Gally. The only person who had been excited to join her tonight was Chuck, but he was passed out against a tree before she had finished asking everyone else. So, Fry assumed Y/N would be on her own tonight.

The cook waited for the sun to completely set while he finished cleaning up. He hummed lightly as he contemplated what he was going to do. Should he go see if Y/N was out there? Or should he just go to bed? After all, she never came and asked him to join her...so maybe she didn't consider him good enough a friend to be around. Then again, she'd asked Gally and they weren't all that close so he doubted that.

Sure enough, as Fry chose to approach and as he expected, there was Y/N laying sprawled out in the grass. Without even really being able to see in the dark, Frypan could sense the small smile on her face. Y/N was unlike anyone here. Sure, they lived in a pretty miserable place and with so much uncertainty. But, she tried to make the honest best of it.

Fry loved being around Y/N. When the two of them were together, it was like no one else existed. They clicked so well that they could spend all day just laughing and talking completely seamlessly. He didn't get to see her often except for when she ran things from the garden over to the kitchens. She'd try to stay and help, but Newt would always come and break things up.

Somedays, he wished Y/N could just work with him in the kitchens. He knew it would be an absolute riot with horrible singing and dance parties. It was guaranteed they'd make one another laugh so hard that they'd end up on the floor with sore stomachs for hours. But, that also meant they'd probably get nothing done. Maybe it was better they had different jobs in the long run.

Awkwardly, as he got closer, Frypan cleared his throat. Y/N lifted herself up and tried to locate the person in the dark. "Minho?"

"No, sorry." Frypan cringed. "Just me!"

"Oh," She looked up as he finally came closer enough to see and smiled happily. "Hey, Fry!"

"I saw you asking around earlier for people to join you out here...and I'm not sure if you want me here...But, I thought hey, since no one else showed up, you might want the company?" He said a little doubtfully.

"Your company would be very much appreciated. Of course I want you here!" She patted the grass beside her. "Sorry I never asked you."

Frypan laughed a little. "No hard feelings, I was hiding away and cleaning up the kitchen anyways."

"You're always hiding in the kitchens," Y/N teased. "Why don't you hang out with the rest of us more? I know you're busy, but I also know you have the time to join us sometimes."

"Ah," Frypan shrugged. "You all work together all day, but I spend it alone. I guess I feel sorta...left out? You all are so close."

"That doesn't mean you can't spend time with us!" Y/N looked to him curiously, wondering why of all people it was Frypan, the guy loved by all, who felt insecure and left out. "Everyone wants to see you more, Fry."

Frypan smiled wide. "I didn't know that. Thank you!"

"And don't you forget it." Y/N grabbed Frypans shoulder as she fell back in the grass and brought him with her. The boy laughed and all of his doubts about his value here in the glade faded away. He just needed to be a little more confident and make the choice to visit with his friends instead of watching from afar.