Newt [11.3]

Newt now had himself a real problem. He thought that maybe by telling the girl he now shared a room with that she made him feel better, she would understand what he truly meant. But, that didn't seem to be the case. She still treated him like her best friend. A couple of days had passed and the second bed hadn't yet been built because of Gally's injured hand, but Newt wasn't complaining.

When the sun breaking through the window of his room in the homestead woke him, Newt found the space where the girl should be to be empty. The past couple of days, he had been the one to wake her, but instead, this morning the bed was cold and devoid of her presence. And he could feel it.

Not even at breakfast did he find her sitting in the usual spot. It upset him, and caused the worry inside to begin to grow for no apparent reason.

Handing his dishes to Frypan, he spoke up. "You seen Y/N this morning?" Newt asked, trying to sound nonchalant but knew he probably looked frantic.

"Came early for breakfast and headed over to the medjack hut." Frypan said before whipping around and saving a falling plate. "Why you so worried?"

"Nothin." Newt shook his head violently, pursing his lips. He stood awkwardly for a moment in front of Frypan before finally departing.

The Glade was beginning to warm with the rising sun and everyone could tell is was going to be unbearably hot. It was a regular occurrence, but it didn't mean the Gladers enjoyed the scorching sun. The runners nearly always came back early with a case of heat exhaustion and hardly got any work got done. The medjack hut got overrun, and by the looks of it, they already had a visitor this morning. Newt limped as quickly as possible towards the hut, seeing as Gally had just entered. By the time the builder was sat down and having the bandages around his hand unwrapped, Newt had found the girl.

"Considering you punched that tree pretty hard, your hand doesn't look too bad." Y/N said surprisingly, smiling at Gally. Newt knew she was glad to see Gally's injuries healing fast, but that small smile being directed towards someone else enraged him.

"Think I'll finally be able to get that bed built for you today." Gally laughed lightly as Y/N wiped away some of the dried blood and began to apply a new bandage.

"No you won't." Newt stepped forwards out of the corner of the room and met Y/N's eyes immediately who were wide with shock. He wondered why, and then realized he had been standing in the room for a few minutes without anyone noticing.

"Why not, shank? Aren't you two sharing? I don't even get a thank you?" Gally snapped and tried to stand, but Y/N gripped his hand and raised a brow, almost as if to say 'don't try that here.'

"You won't be working when you're injured." Newt demanded.

"Newt, he seems to be alrigh—" Y/N began before being cut off completely.

"I said he won't be working until he's healed!" Newt snarled. "Don't need him hurting himself more."

"So why do you care all the sudden, Newt? I've hurt myself before, but you told me to keep working." Gally asked suspiciously.

Truth was, Newt wasn't all that concerned about Gally. The builder was tough and Newt knew he would keep working no matter what. Building was the one thing that kept Gally sane here, and everyone knew better than to tell him to stop. But Newt didn't want that second bed built. It was the one thing keeping him close to Y/N and didn't want it taken away now, especially after just a few days. Never once in the past few years had he seemed to actually sleep, but with her, he did.

"I do care—" Newt mumbled in frustration. "Just build something else of higher priority."

Gally looked to the second in command confused. "Alby put the bed on the top of my list."