Newt [7]

"You wonder why you survive here?" Gally snarled aggressively, shoving the girls shoulders. "It's because of us! We keep you alive!"

Everyone who stood around the fire could see the anger beginning to build behind Y/N's eyes. "Shut up." She muttered roughly.

"You're weak." The keeper of the builders stood tall, towering over the girl with a grotesque smile.

"Gally stop—" Minho barged in, only to be shoved away by the builder. A look of disgust and betrayal crossed the runners face. Gally was pushing it too far—and knowing Y/N, she'd break soon.

"Hell, the only reason we haven't found a way out of the maze yet is you. Minho is probably so busy making sure you don't get lost that he can't map the maze!"

"It sounds like you're just jealous, Gally." Minho crossed his arms and smirked, hoping to diffuse the situation. It failed.

Y/N was going to lose control. Ever since she arrived in the Glade, all she'd done was tirelessly run that godforsaken maze.

Y/N's vexation boiled inside as Gally continued to scream from above her, ridiculing her for all the wrongs she hadn't done.

"Why don't you step up for once, Gally?" Y/N hollered out. If everyone wasn't paying attention already, they were now.

Gally raised his fist and threw it in her direction, only to be stopped half way. Y/N knew it was coming. She grabbed his arm and tossed it back, readying her own.

"You son of a bit—" Before she could finish, a booming voice came from her left.

"Newt, get her out of here! I'll deal with Gally." Alby said forcefully. Then a gentle hand gripped Y/N's shoulder. She froze.

"C'mon, love." Newt sounded, frustration lacing his voice. Gally always prompted these futile arguments around Y/N and he was starting to get tired of it.

The second in command guided the girl out into the middle of the Glade, sitting her down in the grass. Y/N still fought his grasp and refused to meet his gaze, looking back to the builder with rage in her eyes.

"Calm down." Newt coaxed, reaching for the girls face.

She slapped his hand away. "And just let him make everyone think I don't work my ass off trying to get us out of this hellhole every day? Just one punch will teach him." Y/N spat, tossing her arm in the air in a punching motion.

"Y/N, stop. For gods sake, the second rule of the Glade: Never harm another Glader." Newt once again tried to meet her eyes, this time his voice a little harsher.

Y/N finally looked to the messy haired blonde, and then over his shoulders to the maze doors directly behind him. Minho stood at them, looking out into the abyss tiredly, running his hands through his hair. "Minho's still a jerk, but he knows I pull more than my own weight! Why can't that shuckface get it into his hea—"

Suddenly, the girls words stopped flowing out and she wasn't sure why. Then, that was when she felt Newt's lips on hers. Yet again she froze, all the while her heart stopping.

As Newt broke away, he kept his deep brown eyes on hers, a small smile rising on his face. "Are you calmed down now?"

The girl shied her eyes away and muttered in response, her face heating up. "Y-Yeah."

"Good, because that was bloody terrifying." Newt laughed lightly and pulled the girl into a hug.