Thomas [9]

A/N: Thank you so much for all of your support everyone!! I was so unsure of everything and yeah wow I didn't realize how many of you there are out there who enjoy these stories just the way they are.

Kicking things back off with a request here :)

___________

Y/N had been running for what felt like hours. The smoke all around made her lungs burn as if she'd never run before in her life and it stung her eyes. She was so lost, confused and in pain that she could hardly keep on top of staying sane. Her mission now was to find Thomas, wherever he was, and get him back to the others so they could leave. She knew he must still be with Newt, and seeing how far gone Newt was the last time she'd seen him, things weren't looking great.

When Y/N found Newt and Thomas, all of that stinging and aching in her body slowly drained out and faded away. Thomas sat crouched at Newts side who lay back down on the concrete. He wasn't moving.

"Thomas?" Y/N tried to yell, but all she managed was a whisper.

Either he'd heard her or sensed her presence because the tired dark haired boy looked up with affliction in his eyes. Y/N raced for them.

Thomas fell back so he sat on the cold ground. He put his head between his knees and laced his hands over his head. All of the energy he had inside of himself was being used to withhold from crying out into the dead air. All that would do is draw attention.

"Pick him up. Help me." Y/N pleaded as she grappled with trying to pick Newt up, knife in his chest and all. "Let's go!"

Thomas didn't have the energy or heart to even look up. For all he knew, this fight was over. WICKED was mostly taken down and his best friend was dead. There seemingly wasn't anything left to fight for. "He's gone."

"No he's not, he's just in shock." Y/N was trying her hardest to get Newt off of the ground. She wasn't leaving him here, not after she'd just felt a weak pulse still beating and the uneven rise of his ribs with each short breath. Whether he was going to survive or not, it didn't matter. Leaving him here in this disgusting city would be the worst crime she'd ever commit.

Thomas was giving up. Without even thinking, he stood up and began to walk away. He really had his mind set on leaving. Where he would go? He had no idea. But it wouldn't be where his friends were going. He couldn't face them anymore.

Y/N looked up just in time to see him retreating. "Thomas, don't walk away." She yelled out. "We can save him! But I need your help."

There was something about someone else saying there was still hope that always reignited something in Thomas. If there was still some sort of chance to change one thing or make something better, he was going to do it. The past few minutes, he wasn't sure where his normal self had gone. For the first time in his life, he'd practically given up. Y/N was there to stop that, though.

After hearing Teresa call out on the city speakers, requesting Thomas, the pair knew exactly what to do. So, they drag Newts body through the city and to Teresa, still in the WICKED facility, pouring every last ounce of her soul into finding a cure. She was almost there. Thomas and Y/N were granted immediate access seeing as how WICKED was already falling apart and that Thomas had the blood which could be used for a cure.

"Do whatever you want," Thomas was breathing heavily as he entered the room Teresa was in. He nodded gently and with utmost honesty and trust to Y/N as he made sure she could hold Newt up by herself. "But if you have anything close to a cure, give it to Newt first."

"I just need your blood, that's it." Teresa admitted, scrambling to work as fast as she could. "Are you sure Newt's alright? The knife—"

Thomas' eyes never left Y/N and Newt. All he wanted was for this to work. "If we can get a cure, he'll be fine. The knife isn't that deep."

Time fled and yet moved as slow as a receding glacier. Everyone waited in piercing silence as Newt was given a draft of a serum which they didn't know if it would save him, kill him or do nothing at all. The only thing that broke their focus on him and their search for signs of improvement was Brenda on the radio calling out for them.

"Thomas! Y/N! Where are you guys?" She yelled through the device. "You're not here and we've gotta go soon."

Teresa was the one who responded immediately, picking up the radio and telling Brenda where exactly to meet. If it wasn't for Teresa, it was likely none of them were getting out of here. The building began to shake beneath their feet and the glow in the room was becoming frighteningly similar to a bright sunset, meaning the flames were getting closer.

"You need to get out of here," Teresa ushered Thomas to help Y/N lift Newt back up. "I'll show you the way to the roof."

The dark haired girl held the door open for her friends as they passed through.

"Thank you, Teresa." Y/N said as she looked back over her shoulder to the girl who may have just saved Newts life.

The pair of girls, despite their differences, had been good friends in the time they'd spent together. Y/N had no reason to hate her. She wanted Teresa to come with them, to make it out of this place, leave WICKED behind and move somewhere safe. Teresa was the smartest person she knew. Though, she needed a teacher, someone to guide her down the right path.

Just as the group had hoped, the sound of a berg approaching reverberated in their bones. Soon enough, it broke through the smoke. They could see all of their friends inside as the hatch opened and whoever was flying it tried to get as close as they could to the building. Minho and Frypan screamed for them to jump as soon as possible.

Of course, the three worked to get Newt up into the berg first. It was risky, knife still in his chest and all. But, they weren't about to remove it until they were somewhere safe and had someone who knew what they were doing. By some miracle, they got him up and inside without further injuring him.

The next was Thomas, leaping up and being taken hold of by his friends. Everyone inside the berg was yelling louder, obviously more afraid of the nearing fire and trembling building than Y/N and Teresa were.

Y/N looked to her friend. She knew they were running out of time. Who was going to go?

Her question was answered when Teresa shoved her forward, forcing Y/N to keep her balance by running and jumping for the berg. The moment she jumped, the feeling of solid ground beneath her feet faded. It wasn't until she was onboard that she realized that was because there no longer was ground beneath her. Teresa was gone and so was the building, swallowed into the smoke.

She didn't know what to do. Scream, cry or jump. She couldn't save Teresa but that didn't stop her from feeling like she still had to try. Before she could act on her emotion, the berg door shut and the space darkened.

Thomas had nothing left in him. With frantic eyes he searched the berg until he found Y/N sitting against one of the walls, staring at Newt as Vince and Jorge tended to his wounds. All she could hope was that the quick concoction of a cure Teresa had made would work. If it didn't, at least they'd done all they could.

Y/N then found Thomas shuffling his way over to her. He gave a sad glance as he collapsed to the floor and seemingly melted into the girl. He buried his face into her neck and let her arms fall around him and hold tight.

"I love you. I'm sorry all this—That I tried to run—" Thomas' mind was so scrambled he didn't know what to apologize for and what to be thankful for.

"Hey, it's okay. I love you too." Y/N stopped his torrent of intrusive thoughts and fears. He knew she didn't hate or blame him for any of this. Though, that didn't mean he still didn't feel responsible for all the loss.

"About—time." Newt's guttural sounding voice broke the silence. Everyone stopped what they were doing and turned heads.

"What?" Thomas croaked. His body went cold. Newt was okay?

"I said," Newt tried to suck in air through obviously fluid ridden lungs. "About bloody time you said that."