Newt [4]

Newt refused to talk to her. After the stunt she had pulled, he knew anything that would pass his lips would be vile, something which no ones ears were deserving of hearing. No matter how much he wanted to scream and cry right in front of her, show her just how much what she did had scared him, he knew he couldn't. The Scorch was already an appalling enough of a place to be lost in. He didn't need to add any extra discomfort for anyone.

"Newt, just say something to her. She did save your life." Thomas sounded softly as he caught up with Newt who ambled through the deep sand as fast as he could with his limp. The blonde just looked ahead with disgust to the girl whose Y/H/C hair was seemingly glowing in the light of the fading sun.

"What do you bloody expect me to say?!" He snapped and pulled the straps of his pack even tighter. Thomas looked to his friend with disbelief.

"I know how much she means to you." Thomas began, looking to Newt who's eyes were still glued on the girl ahead. "And you can't just shut her out because of what she did."

____

Thomas had seen the whole thing, and he understood why Newt was upset with Y/N. They had just escaped the W.I.C.K.E.D. compound and were in an old abandoned mall. Cranks started crawling out of every crack and crevice and began chasing after them. Newt had gotten thrown to the floor by one who smashed straight through a window and Y/N was the first one to notice, at his side in a second. She threw herself at what used to be a human figure, taking it straight over a ten foot ledge.

Y/N was lucky enough to land right on the crank which broke her fall and she wasted no time in finishing it off. It's inhuman wails of agony echoing through the desolate building. "GO! I'll meet you outside!" She screamed up at Thomas who loomed over the edge. The girl waved her flashlight and disappeared into the dark. Thomas picked up Newt and forced him forwards with the others.

When they had finally made it out, they took refuge under some boulders which used to be pieces of the building. But, there was still no sign of Y/N. The entire night, the gladers sat quietly. Hoping, praying, that they might just get a trace of sound to signal she was alive. No one slept until sleep physically pulled them into it's depths.

The instant the morning sun broke over the dunes in the distance, a small silhouette began to approach. "N-Newt!" Thomas croaked, smacking his friend in the ribs. "Get up!"

Squinting, the blonde recognized the approaching figure within seconds. "What the shuck! I looked all over for you!" Y/N exclaimed and accepted the hugs of Minho and Thomas in disbelief. She scoffed lightly when Newt finally came into view and stepped closer to him.

Newt just lowered his eyes to the ground resentfully and shoved past the girl, the unexpected force sending her into the ground. "Newt!" Minho cried and reached for her immediately.

"Lets go." Newt demanded and Thomas could see the anger, confusion and doubt swelling within his friend.

"C'mon." Thomas grabbed Y/N's shoulder and gave her a weak smile. The boy couldn't help but see this as the last thing they needed right now. Y/N and Newt worked together to keep everyone else moving forwards. But the moment they fell apart, he knew everyone else would too.

____

"Shut her out? Maybe that's what I need to do, Tommy. I don't want to be close to her if she's going to get herself killed!" He stopped and turned to Thomas, clenching his jaw. An indescribable mess of emotions swelled in Newts eyes and Thomas could tell he was just about to boil over.

"You guys alright?!" Minho hollered back to the two boys who stood staring at each other, the disagreement very evident. Newt turned to see Y/N and Minho standing, staring at them, their silhouettes barely illuminated by the fading sun.

"We're fine." Thomas muttered back barely audibly over the wind which gust around them. Hesitantly, they all trudged forwards towards an old torn apart ship half buried in the sand.

The fire they had lit barely was able to stay ablaze, offering near to no warmth. Everyone sat in complete silence, the creaks and groans of the ship filling their ears. There was a foulness in the air which everyone could taste in their mouths, and they all knew it's origin. The moment the girl lifted off of the ground and disappeared out into the dark, the gladers all looked to Newt with condescending glares. "Go talk to her or imma drag your pony lovin' butt over there." Minho grumbled.

Hesitantly, Newt rose because he knew he had no other option. He stumbled past the fire and cautiously shuffled in the direction that the girl had gone, waiting for his eyes to adjust to the darkness. Sure enough, there she was, sitting up against a log staring out at the somber sky. "Hey..." Newt muttered, slumping down beside the girl.

"Hi..." She mumbled back, looking to him with a weak, sorry smile. "I'm really sorry for what I did. I-I just..."

"You could have died."

Newt's words hit her chest like daggers. "But I didn't." She stifled a laugh and prayed his face would show some sort of emotion.

"You don't get it, Y/N. If you died, I-I don't know... I can't do this without you." He admitted, rubbing his hands over his knees anxiously. The boy felt like his insides were burning, sitting in the silence right by her side.

Y/N stared at her friend in disbelief. She felt like her heart had been knocked right out. "What are you talking about? Yes you can." She rotated her body to face his and he looked down to her, his brown eyes hardly illuminated by the moonlight.

"No, I can't." He scoffed and grabbed her hands in his, trying to warm them. "We've come a bloody long ways and have been through a whole bloody lot. If I lost you now, this whole fight would be pointless."