Newt [45]

Newt was trying. Trying real hard. Things weren't going his way, though. It seemed everything he did to get a certain persons attention only sent him backwards. Every attempt left him a flustered, embarrassed mess.

It started with small things, like asking her to help with something in the gardens he could have easily done himself. He found reasons to sit beside her at meals, like how there far too often was a spider on her shoulder he had to brush away...so he may as well just sit there anyways. He brought her any random thing he could steal off of other Gladers just to ask if it she'd lost it.

He even went as far as to sacrificing some of his own lunch just to ask her if she wanted it later in the day. The list of attempts he made could go on forever. Any chance he had to talk to her and try to initiate anything that would cause them to get to spend time together, he did.

But nothing seemed to be working. He wasn't getting her attention in the way he hoped. It was like anytime he'd walk up with a random object, she'd just laugh lightheartedly and confirm it wasn't hers. Any food he offered she kindly declined, saying he needed it more. She'd thank him for brushing invisible spiders off her shoulder and then would continue talking to Minho and Chuck most meals. She seemed so unfazed anytime he threw his arms over her shoulders and rest his chin on her head. Anytime the gladers stayed up late to look at the sky, Newt happily used Y/N as a pillow and never once did he get the feeling she felt differently about him than she did everyone else here.

Today he was desperate. At this point, it seemed he'd tried everything. Now, it was all or nothing.

"What's got you in such a stinking fuss?" Minho whacked Newt over the head with a shirt. Newt was just trying to untie his shoes and being accosted by Minho so soon after returning from the dealing with Gally and the newt greenie wasn't on his list of to-do's for the evening.

"What fuss?" Newt grumbled as he kicked his shoes off and sighed. "You're the fuss."

"That doesn't even make sense." Minho sat down and began sorting through a stack of papers from the map room, having tossed his weapon of a shirt into a bin of dirty running clothes in the homestead. "Lemme guess, Y/N?"

Newt looked up to catch Minho's unassuming eyes. For a moment, he wanted to fire back with some snappy remark but he found it a little too difficult. Minho was the one person he could trust and lying to him, hiding the truth, was nearly impossible. "Yeah." He looked back down.

"You know man," Minho straightened up. "Maybe instead of swatting at invisible spiders and offering your soggy lunch leftovers, just talk to her."

"I've tried." Newt groaned. "Talking isn't my forte, I guess."

"That's a shocker. You're totally a blabber around me." Minho snickered lightly and sarcastically. "But Y/N is sweet, I can see why you get tripped up so easy."

"Shut up," Newt threw his head back in reproach. "I was hoping you'd at least help—"

Immediately, Minho's eyes latched onto something. He jumped up and lunged for the item he'd spot and snickered to himself. Then, he walked over and held the item out to Newt with a promising smile.

Newt sighed in defeat. "Don't tell me—"

"Yep. You're gonna do it." Minho crossed his arms, so utterly sure of his plan. There was no way this wouldn't work. "Go give this to her, whether she wants it or not."

Before Newt could even tell him to stop, the runner had him up on his feet, being pushed out of the homestead door. Minho gave one last encouraging shove that had Newt stumbling forwards a little. The second in command looked back and narrowed his eyes on Minho and grunt. Yet, for some ungodly reason, he was going through with this stupid plan Minho had shoved down his throat.

"Do you even know where she is?" Newt asked nervously.

"Nope," Minho shrugged. "Have fun!" He smiled cheesily and ran off.

Newt felt the heat in his face rising and his hands began to tremble. Taking a deep breath, he made a half attempt to scan the Glade but couldn't locate the girl anywhere. So, he set off in search of her.

It seemed he'd circled the place three times before he finally managed to find his elusive target. She was sat in the grass with Chuck near the edge of the deadheads. The two seemed to be deep into some kind of conversation.

Since Chuck arrived, Newt had slowly been losing patience. Chuck was a wonderful person, but having questions every two minutes and tears multiple times during the day was making it difficult for Newt to cope. So, Y/N had seen this, and taken on the role of beings Chuck's main person. Whenever he had questions or was having a difficult time, he now went to Y/N instead of Newt.

For a moment, Newt slowed his walk and watched contently. He felt a warmth right in his chest. Y/N sneakily tossed some grass at Chuck and immediately his face lit up and he swiped tears from his cheeks. Chuck's mood took a drastic one eighty and he lunged forward to hug Y/N. The two laughed until Chuck finally noticed Newt approaching over Y/N's shoulder and he waved.

Y/N turned with a wide smile on her face and motioned for Newt to join them. Despite feeling like he'd been speared in the chest and like he couldn't move, her inviting smile drew him forwards regardless. Suddenly, he found himself sitting with the other two, happily engaged.

It took a while, but Chuck was eventually distracted by some sort of clanging in the kitchen and sprint off across the Glade. Newt tensed. Without even really thinking, he held out the item he'd been clenching in his hands for a long time now. Y/N looked between him and the bundle of fabric and raised a brow.

"Is this yours?" He muttered, voice catching ever so slightly. He cleared his throat awkwardly as he sort of tried to force the item into her hands.

Y/N caught on and took it from his hands. She unfold the hoodie, scanned it over and shook her head. "Not mine," She smiled and tried to hand it back to him. "Maybe it's Ben's?"

Newt cringed a little and tilt his head, pursing his lips. "I'm not asking if it's yours, I'm giving it to you." He spat out breathlessly.

"But you just asked...?" Y/N giggled lightly.

"Yeah, sorry. Forget that." Newt pressed a palm to his forehead. "Just take it."

Y/N was now beyond confused. "Ah, thanks. But I don't need it. I have my own." She ran her fingers over the soft fabric and shrugged. As much as it looked nice and warm, Y/N wasn't just going to take something that someone else might need when she already had one of her own.

Newt sighed. "That's not the point. I want you to have it." He made a motion toward the hoodie. "I'm giving it to you."

"Oh," Y/N leaned forward and laughed a little. "You know you could have just said that, right?"

"Yeah, yeah," Newt felt his face flushing and he closed his eyes in embarrassment for a brief moment.

"Well, thank you." Y/N smiled kindly at him. "I appreciate it and I appreciate you a whole lot more."

Newt felt like everything inside of him stopped for a moment. He looked to the girl and lift a small smile. "Thanks. I needed to hear that."