Minho [22]

She had made a promise to Alby very long ago. So long ago in fact, she herself somedays forgot about it. A conversation so far in the past and buried in their memories that it rarely crossed either of their minds. However, they both on some subconscious level, always knew it was there. It gnawed at the back of Y/N's mind every night without her even realizing.

All that time ago, Y/N had promised Alby nothing short of her own life. He asked that when they needed it most, or should the day ever come that there was no one left, she became a runner at the drop of a hat. She promised that whenever Alby called upon her in need, she'd give all she had to find a way out of the maze.

One might wonder why if Y/N had been so willing to be a runner for Alby, why wasn't she one already? It was because Y/N knew that the day might come where everyone would lose hope. She herself believed that should that day ever come, she wouldn't have given up yet. She knew she could hold out. So did Alby. She, in their most desperate time, would be their last jolt of energy.

When Ben got stung, Y/N knew her life was going to be changing within a matter of hours. Just as expected, the runners quit one by one until no one was left but Minho and the ambitious Greenie, Thomas. Y/N counted the seconds down until Alby came to find her.

She sat under one of the trees in the Glade, mindlessly listening to the cries of Ben in the distance. Right now, she didn't know what to do or how to distract herself from what she knew was coming. It was like waiting for a call to the electric chair. There was no escaping it and nothing to think about because destiny was already set.

"You alright?" Newt's voice sounded as he sat beside her.

Y/N looked up with vacant eyes. "Yeah, thanks." She muttered. "Not sure how we're going to recover from this."

Newt picked some grass. "I don't either. We need a miracle."

It was strange. She knew the Glade needed her now. They needed someone dedicated to finding a way out when the odds seemed completely against them. But, she was more hesitant than she thought. She was getting used to the Glade and wondered if finding a way out was worth it. After all, could they even confirm there's anything out there beyond the walls? No, they couldn't.

Until dinner was called by Frypan, Y/N and Newt sat in silence beneath that tree, thinking. Both in their own worlds as the contemplated the collapse of the one they were currently living in.

Sure enough, before dinner as she and Newt walked toward the tables, Y/N felt a hand on her shoulder. It was too familiar. It gripped with grief. The girl stopped walking and so did Newt. With eyes downturned and tense shoulders, she took in a sharp breath. Newt watched her change in demeanour.

"...What's going on?" He asked nervously. "Alby?"

"We need to talk." Alby said coldly. "I think it's time Newt hears about this as well. C'mon."

The three Gladers walked slowly and quietly to the council hall. Alby and Y/N, to Newt's surprise, actually had their own secrets. Whatever this was, he'd never heard about it. So, it must've been something fairly serious.

As they dropped down into the hall, Minho was already sat in one of the chairs with his head in his hands. Thomas was wandering around the room in boredom.

"Alright," Alby sat down. "I think we all know where this is going. Ben is going to have to be banished, the runners are quitting and Gally is at his wits end and about to kill Thomas."

"Huh?" Thomas whipped his head around in confusion from the wood on the wall he was tearing apart.

Alby groaned and turned back to the others. "So we—"