Newt [39]

A/N: SOME EMBARRASSED NEWT FOR YOUR FRIDAY EVENING :D (at least where I am lol)

 "Newt! Y/N!" Alby's panicked hollers blasted right through their sweet and quiet conversation in the gardens. The second they heard him storming their way, they broke a few more feet apart and tried to make themselves look busy. If they were being honest, the past couple hours hadn't been very productive. "We've got a problem."

Newt and the girl dart their eyes between one another and then back to Alby. Were they in trouble or was this going to be something entirely unexpected? They were really hoping for unexpected.

"Alright," Newt shift his weight nervously. "Wanna tell us what's going on?"

For some reason, Alby seemed suspicious of the two and their strange behaviour. But, he had things to worry about right now other than the pairs relationship. "Frypans sick and can't make dinner tonight. It's on you two now."

"What?" Newt yelped. The second he heard his squeaky, alarmed voice he wanted to bury his head in the dirt. He knew he had to make a quick recovery. "I mean—that's fine, I'm sure we can manage. Is Frypan alright, though?"

Alby raised a brow and scanned Newt's flustered face and tense shoulders. "Yeah...he'll be alright." He answered, but not without a hint of suspicion. "You sure you're doin' alright?"

Newt took in a sharp breath and squeezed the shovel in his hand. He could quite literally now feel the heat in his cheeks and knew his face was only reddening further. Not only was he still frantic about having to spend a completely unplanned evening with Y/N in close quarters, but he knew Alby was going to be onto him.

"Yeah," He swallowed hard and quickly to looked to Y/N who was already staring at him in concern. His vision snapped back to Alby quickly. "The heat is just getting to me."

"Right, well," Alby pressed his palms together and point over toward the kitchen. "Good thing it'll be nice and cool over there! Get to work!"

Alby head off and Newt heard Y/N toss her shovel down into the dirt, then grabbing his right out of his hands and placing it down. She rubbed her hands on her pants in a haphazard attempt to rid them of the dirt they were coated in. "Do you honestly believe Alby thinks we can pull this off or did he just pick us because he knew we wouldn't argue with him?"

Newt just barely caught Y/N's question. Frankly, he was far too distracted by all the thoughts stampeding through his mind about all the different places this evening could lead. Granted, it wouldn't get anywhere if he never got himself together and managed to calm his nerves. "Probably because he knew we wouldn't argue, but I think he has some faith in us." He let out a nervous laugh.

"Let's hope he's right," Y/N grabbed Newt's shoulders and started pushing him forward through the Glade. It was probably only a few seconds but it felt like years until she finally let go and started walking at his side. He felt so idiotic not even being able to look at her right now. And, to be honest, he wasn't even sure what had come over him. Days could be comfortably spent talking and laughing in the gardens, but the second the context of their interaction was out of his hands, he panicked.

Luckily, once they got to the kitchen, he had something to focus on. Making dinner. The pair began scouring around in search of anything they could use to magically conjure up a dinner that wouldn't be overly difficult or time consuming. After a while, Y/N thunked something down on a table.

"Well, we've got rice...and some vegetables. Looks like that's what we're working with tonight." She shrugged. "Plus, there is no way I trust us to properly cook any meat, so that's out of the picture."

Newt put his hand on the table and leaned a little. Instantly, he regret it. What was he doing? He probably looked like an idiot. Clearing his throat, he straightened back up and grabbed the bag of rice. "Yeah, I agree with you on that one. Let's try to keep this food poisoning free." He pat the bag in his arms so it wasn't covering his face entirely. "Rice and vegetables seems pretty safe. I'll get started on this if you get on the veg?"