Thomas [2]

Fire roared, guns fired from every direction, and buildings tumbled down all around the Gladers. They were trapped in an alleyway, minds so frantic they couldn't decide upon a way out. Newt was slumped up against one of the walls, hitching each and every breath as he fought to hold onto himself. On either side of him, Y/N and Thomas sat, promising he would be ok.

"Y/N, Minho, go get the serum!" Thomas cried out desperately, the tears in his eyes building quickly. He knew better than anyone else that time was running short.

"C'mon!" Minho shouted, pulling Y/N to her feet. Newt raised his eyes to watch as she was being dragged away by Minho, kicking and shouting. With her mind set on not leaving Newt, she would fight until Minho gave up. She wasn't leaving. Not without him.

"Go." Newt croaked out, trying harder than ever to retain his sanity. "I love you but you need to go."

"No—Newt—" Y/N stuttered in both fear and frustration. Newt hardly even looked like himself, collapsed there in the alleyway. Inside, though, Y/N knew it was still him. Newt was still there. He had to be.

"Minho—Gally—" Newt sputtered out their names between heavy, crackling breaths. "Get her out."

With heavy hearts, the two boys obliged. It pained them to grasp her arms despite the screams and drag her away. Neither of them wanted to do it. Her cries echoed in the cold, dim alleyway, resonating in Newt's heart. These weren't the last words he wanted to hear from her. He wanted to hear that she loved him too just one last time.

"I'm not leaving him!" Y/N bellowed, still fighting against her friends. Gally stepped in front to block Y/N's view to Newt, grabbing her shoulders.

"Y/N you need to go." He said sternly, continuing to push her back alongside Minho.

"You run as fast as you can." Minho said to Y/N as they made it out onto the boulevard. He knew he didn't have to say it because Y/N could outrun him any day, but it would divert her focus from Newt.

"I'll cover you guys." Gally insisted, raising his gun, motioning for his friends to start running. The last Y/N saw was Newt's head craned to the side, resting against the brick wall, fighting for breath. Thomas was trying to say something to the blonde, but it obviously wasn't going through. Just before she slipped out of sight, Newt's dark and cloudy locked on hers once more.

Only a couple of seconds later, Newt turned his attention to the brunette crouching before him. "You bloody look after her."

Thomas' expression sank. "D-Don't say that!"

Newt grumbled, wincing in pain. "Look after her for me!"

Still sitting with mouth agape, Thomas didn't know what to say. Newt was going to make it out of this. He was. There was no need to promise Newt he'd look after Y/N when Newt would be there to do it himself.

"Please, Tommy. Please." Newt begged, rolling his head back and forth, trying to keep the sobs in his lungs buried. This was something he never wanted to ask. But he knew he wasn't making it out of this alive.

Thomas promised. Begrudgingly, he promised. If this was his best friends dying wish, he wasn't going to let him down.

___
___

Paradise wasn't so bad. But for everyone who had lived to see it, things would never be easy. With the adrenaline from their veins worn off, the painful events which had taken place finally had a chance to settle in.

No matter where she went, the ache in Y/N's chest refused to subside. She tried everything, like surrounding herself with others in hopes that their voices would drown out her thoughts. But, it failed, just like any other attempt she made to repress memories of the friends she'd lost.