Minho [1]

Everything was silent. Being constantly on the run made Minho feel like the world was screaming at him from all directions, deliberately trying to wear him to the bone. But in this moment, he was at peace.

Sure, he had been without food or water for who knows how long, but he was content. For once, the sun wasn't beating down on him. For once, the wind wasn't howling in his hears. For once, the girl he'd been so fond of ever since she arrived in the Glade lay at his side. Though he refused to admit it, he cared about her more than he showed.

The Gladers all lay huddled in a circle on the ground. In the middle of nowhere, the only hope they had moving forwards were the mountains just a little ways off. A cool breeze blew over the group, making the girl curled up beside Minho shiver. He'd pull her in close if he was able, but after days of running, he was too tired to even lift an arm. All he could do was stare at her face which was only slightly illuminated by the light disappearing beyond the horizon. She looked tired. Scratches, blood, and dirt coated her face, but he didn't care.

"H-Hey! Newt get up!" Thomas croaked, trying to lift himself off of the ground. Minho's reverie was broken. He wasn't pleased.

"Wha—what is it?" Newt mumbled tiredly. Whilst Thomas pointed out to the lights in the distance, Minho pulled the girl who still lay on the ground to her feet.

"Rise and shine, shebean." He muttered, trying to brush away the dirt and sand which clung to her back. She didn't seem to care.

"We made it—" Frypan began, only to be cut off by a shrill crackling from the sky. Everyone instinctively turned around to witness the ominous clouds swelling overhead, lightning illuminating their dark form.

One strike. Two. Then the third, which prompted the idea in everyones mind that they should leave.

"C'mon lets go!!" Thomas called out urgently. The group gathered their supplies as quickly as possible, yet again readying to run for their lives.

The wind got more violent. The reverberations from the sky got louder. The screams of the other Gladers more often.

Minho looked back to ensure everyone was still there, especially Y/N. Luckily, she was, trailing just a few feet behind, her eyes on the sky. She was fast, and Minho knew it, but still feared the moment he looked back and she wasn't there anymore.

The group charged towards the dilapidated looking city before them, lighting crashing down all around. Y/N looked to the sky. Overhead she could see the lightning beginning to gather, snaking around inside of the clouds as if trying to spot its target. Then she looked ahead. There was Minho. She knew she only had a couple of seconds before the electricity made it's mark and she had to act quick. So, she leapt forwards.

With one last push of all of the energy she had left inside of her, she thrust her arms into the lower of Minho's back, sending him careening forwards into the sand. How she had mustered so much strength, she wasn't sure, but she had done it. And then it hit her. A blinding flash came from her right and the noise which resonated from it stole away her hearing before she could process it. As if in slow motion, she could feel the electricity running up her legs, and then she hit the ground, violently thrown a few feet backwards.

Minho turned around just in time to see her crash to the ground. His vision was cloudy, hearing completely muffled. He reached up to his ears, eyes wide with agony, checking to see if they were still there. Though, he wasn't sure if the pain was a cause of the strike of lighting or the fact that the one piece of the world he actually cared about was possibly gone.

Y/N lay on the ground completely lifeless, the earth near her still smoking from the strike.

The boy clambered over to her side desperately, trying to cry out for help, but he couldn't even tell if he was making a sound. "Y/N!!" He screamed, hoping to grab someones attention. He tried to pull her from the ground, but she still lay unmoving.

Minho could feel a hand on his back, tugging at him. When he turned, Thomas was there, a grim look on his face. The runner just stared at his friend, unsure of what to do. His heart ached.

"C'mon, get her up!" Newt shouted. Minho helped the blonde pry the girl from the ground as Thomas followed from behind, hollering at everyone to get inside of the building ahead. Lighting still pounded down around them, but they were so close. And Minho wasn't giving up now, especially if she was still alive. What was he thinking? Of course she was. Right?

The next thing he knew, they were inside the building, laying down the girl on the cold cement floor. Everyone was screaming for her to wake up, flashlights pointed at her from all directions.

"Y/N!" Minho grabbed the sides of her pack and shook the girl violently, hoping he might just wake her. Tears were streaming down his face as he screamed at the lifeless body. This wasn't happening to him. It wasn't.

After a moment, he closed his eyes and lowered his head in defeat. A person out this long wasn't ok.

Just as his hope had begun to falter, he felt the rise and fall of her ribcage beneath his hand. Minho snapped his head up immediately, looking to her eyes for any sign of life. They broke open as she inhaled a sharp breath, coughing a couple of times. Everyone sighed in relief.

"You almost got struck by lightning." Thomas told the girl who still looked a little frazzled, hair dishevelled and dirt covering her face.

"How are you—ok?" Minho couldn't believe she was alright. He was angry at her for trying to save him, and always would be, but she was alive. That's all that mattered.

Y/N scrunched her nose up a little, trying to sit herself up. "I deal with your shit everyday, Minho. A little lightning is nothing."

"You shuckface." Minho stifled a sob as he crashed into the girls small body, wrapping his arms around her tightly. He buried his face into her neck, unwilling to let go. All he wanted to do was stay here forever, to forget about the Scorch and how the world was crumbling apart.

"Don't do that again." He said, anger apparent in his voice.

Y/N tried to pry Minho away from her. She didn't mind, but right now his smell really wasn't making her feel any better. "What? Save your butt?" She smirked, trying to laugh despite feeling like her lungs were on fire.

"Remind me again why I even like you?" He let the girl finally push him away, slumping back onto the floor. The room fell dead silent.

"You what?" Thomas questioned, looking to Minho completely baffled.

"Oh shuck." His heart stopped. He'd never even told the girl, and now everyone knew.