Minho [28]

"You're not gonna need that today, shebean." Minho snagged his running partners book from her hands and tossed it back to where it had come from.

Y/N paused and eyed Minho with confusion. "You crazy? That's how me map a way out if we find it. That's how we survive a night in the maze if we get stuck."

Minho hung off the doorframe carelessly. What had gotten into him today? "Ehhh, I wouldn't be too worried about that today."

As much as Y/N knew Minho was acting out of the ordinary, she did believe him. As much as the keeper of the runners could be dense, he wasn't totally stupid. He wouldn't tell Y/N to walk into the maze without her mapping supplies if it wasn't already thought out. Discarding most of her normal things she'd bring along for the day, she followed Minho who bound happily across the glade.

"What a freaking dork," Y/N mumbled. "Are you seeing this?" She nudged Newt and pointed to a frolicking Minho as they walked toward to maze doors.

Newt hummed. "Unfortunately."

Taking off into the maze, Y/N ran close to Minho. "Ok, spit it out. What are you planning for today?"

"Nothing!" He responded with a sly little smile and ran a little faster. Y/N had to push her legs harder to keep up.

"What do you mean—" She grumbled. "Nothing? Nothing definitely means you are planning something suspicious!"

Rolling his eyes, Minho began to slow his run. "I'm not planning anything suspicious. I'm literally planning nothing."

As they came to a stop, Y/N crossed her arms and set her jaw. "I swear Minho, if you brought me out here to feed me to the grievers—"

"Woah, woah!" He reached out his arms and scrambled, realizing maybe he'd been a little too ambiguous about all of this. "No."

"Then what?" Y/N, despite being confused and a little worried, mustered a laugh.

"I thought—" Minho scratched the back of his neck as he struggled for words, something very uncharacteristic. "I thought we could take the day off."

Nervously, he wait for her reaction. Unfortunately, it never came. She kept staring at him with the same deadpan expression.

"Did you just suggest we take a day off? Minho not working for a day?" She raised a brow. "No. I don't believe you."

Exasperated, he sank to the ground in frustration. "Look at me! I'm sitting! I promise I'm being serious."

"Ok..." Y/N hesitantly sat down with him. "What are we gonna tell Alby?"

"We won't tell him anything. Just say it was a normal day." He shrugged. "Not like he's gonna come looking for us."

"Ok, that is true." Y/N admitted with a smile.

Easing into their simple day, Y/N and Minho talked for a while, laughing and joking while laying on the ground of the maze. After a while, they got up and began rummaging around the maze, exploring all those small little spots they never had time to ever stop at. They climbed around until they found a place high enough that they could oversee the glade and almost the whole maze. In all directions, their home was laid out before them. All around was the place they were trapped within.

It was weird though. Up here, Y/N and Minho didn't feel so trapped. Not so much because they had the open air and a view of everything. It was more because throughout they day, they had been reminded of what it meant to have each other. It was pretty hard to be lost, trapped or to truly hate the world when they did have each other. Recently, they'd been working so hard on mapping the maze and finding a way out, they'd sort of drifted apart. Not fallen out in a sense that they didn't work well together—they were better running partners right now than ever. But, they hadn't been doing the sorts of things friends normally did, like joking around and simply talking. It had been all work the past few weeks.