Newt [44]

Y/N had forced herself out of her hammock on this colder than usual morning to start getting ready for her day in the maze. She was happy to greet Frypan and reluctantly awaited Minho's attack on her hair while she wait outside the kitchens. There was only one thing missing: Newt. He was usually up with the rest of them on early mornings and yet he and his crooked smile were nowhere to be seen. Maybe the cold had him hiding away in his hammock, hoping for the sun to rise over the walls and warm things up a little.

While the girl sat eating slowly, she seemed to fade into her thoughts as she stared at the maze doors, still yet to open. Were they ever going to find a way out? What would be on the other side? Surely, there had to be something out there to eat other than Frypans plain, cardboard porridge. Not saying it was bad...but after three years, it was getting boring.

Suddenly, some warmth erupt in Y/N's side. Someone sat right now beside her with a tired and disheartening huff. This invader of personal space sat flush against Y/N, head falling over to land on her shoulder. Their porridge sat on the table in front of them unattended. When the hair on their head ticked Y/N's ear, she knew who it was.

"You okay?" She asked quietly. "You're usually the first up."

Newt moved closer, pushing more into the girl. It was like he was trying to quite literally crawl inside of her arms so he could hide himself form the world. "I'm okay. I just...don't feel great."

Y/N lift her arm and put it around Newt, squeezing him. She pressed her nose into his hair. "Is there anything you need?"

The boy shook his head gently. "No, it's okay. It's just nice to have you here."

Sitting there contently while Y/N tried to force down as much porridge as possible, Newt sucked in as much heat and comfort as he possibly could. In the moment, he sort of felt motion sick, like his world was spinning with the worst case of vertigo he'd ever felt. Nothing felt solid except for Y/N. So, he held tight.

Pounding feet against the soft earth came up behind Y/N and Newt much too quick. "Times up suckers, we've got a maze to run." Minho tried breaking apart the entanglement that was Newt and Y/N.

Newt didn't fight back, but Y/N could feel him closing off once again the further he got pulled away from her. All Y/N could do was squeeze Newt's arm in apology as Minho dragged her off across the Glade to the maze doors. On their way, Y/N looked back a couple of times, only to see Newt slumped at the table, staring at his food, not moving. All she wished was that she could stay, leave a piece of herself behind, do anything. But right now? With a job to do and no bending of the rules, she had to turn away and keep walking. All she had to do was make it through the day and then she could do whatever she had to when she got back. It was going to make for a long day.

As they ran, Y/N couldn't stop thinking about Newt. "Can we please get back a little early today?" She asked.

"Why?" Minho scoffed. "You becoming a slacker?" He playfully shoved the girl making her have to rebalance herself as she ran.

"No," She shoved back. "Newt wasn't himself this morning. I know you saw it too. I want to spend some time with him."

"Baaah," Minho threw his head back. "Alright. But only because he's my friend too."

Y/N smiled proudly. Not just because she'd convinced Minho but because he'd once again proven himself to be the opposite of what he fronted. Minho really was just a bighearted doof.

Y/N knew Newt's favourite thing was hiding himself beneath as many blankets as possible. It quieted all the noise around him and created a warm little bubble where nothing could touch him. So, Y/N's mission, having arrived back in the Glade early, was to scavenge for a pile of blankets. She knew it was going to be no easy feat. Blankets, for some strange reason, were like gold in the Glade. If the medjacks weren't ordered to store them for 'emergencies' Y/N was pretty sure they'd be their own currency. Alby didn't like the idea of having a black market in the Glade.