Minho [21]

Y/N had been acting different. Seriously abnormal, unnerving behaviour. Minho, just like every other day came sprinting back into the Glade, completely out of breath, but a smile on his face nevertheless at the thought of Y/N. She always greeted him here at the doors with an equally large smile, arms wide open. Today, she was nowhere to be seen.

Minho's heart rate picked right back up. Where was she? Maybe, he tried to rationalize, Alby was talking to her or Newt gave her an extra set of jobs and she'd lost track of time. But, the direction his mind went and refused to stray from was that something was wrong. Anything could happen here in the Glade, he knew that, and he wouldn't put it past the creators to tamper with the most fragile object of the Glade: him and Y/N. Not fragile in the sense that they as a pair weren't strong, it was that without one another things might just fall apart. Minho knew that if he lost Y/N, their chances of escaping the maze would suffer immensely.

"Christ Minho, you seen a griever? Or your own reflection? What's wrong, man?" Newt reached his arm out to grab the keeper of the runners who was rampaging through the gardens.

Minho stopped and locked his frantic eyes on Newt. "Where's Y/N? She always meets me at the doors."

Newt gripped his friends shoulder. "She's fine. I sent her to the medjacks earlier today for seeming under the weather. Might be worth checking in on her, yeah?"

"Yeah," Minho let out a sharp breath he'd been harbouring a long time. "Thanks."

Newt watched as his distressed friend ran off. He didn't want to tell Minho, but Y/N had actually been quite ill this morning. She could hardly stand up straight or talk. The past few days she'd seemed off and unfocused, but he hadn't thought too much of it. This morning though, was where he drew the line. Newt wasn't going to have one of his Gladers with a declining condition only get worse because he feared all the jobs wouldn't get done in a day.

Minho stopped for nothing or no one as he sped across the Glade. It was only when he slammed straight into Jeff, who was seemingly was also in a panic, trying to escape the medjacks.

"Ah, Minho! Thank god!" He shoved a bucket against the runners chest. "Go get some water!"

"What?" Minho snapped. "Where's Y/N? What's going on?"

"Get the water and then you can see her!" Jeff kept pushing Minho back out the door until he finally started to run in the opposite direction.

When he returned, he found Y/N right away. Jeff was there, monitoring Y/N very closely which made Minho a little more worried. He set the bucket of fresh water down beside Jeff. The medjack nodded in thanks.

"So, what's going on?" Minho sat down in a chair beside the cot Y/N lay in and went to reach for her forehead.

That was, until Jeff shot up from where he sat and snatched Minho's arm midair. "Don't touch her!"

Confused, Minho withdrew. "Why not?"

"She's really sick, but I have no clue with what. We don't know how is spreads and I can't risk getting anyone else sick, alright? Who knows, maybe I already have it and just gave it to you." He grunted. "Whatever, just don't touch her."

Minho eyed his friend. He straightened up a little, something he always did when unnerved. "How bad is this thing to have you so worked up?"

"Bad." Jeff looked to Y/N. "She's been out since Newt brought her in this morning. I guess she hasn't been feeling well for a few days."

"So what? We just have to wait?" Minho asked. His fear and anxiety always turned into anger. Always. He hated himself for seeming so harsh on Jeff, but he didn't know how to relax.

Jeff shrugged and looked to the girl. "I've done all I can, Minho. If you want to keep an eye on her—"

"Yeah," Minho immediately took his spot at Y/N's side. "I'll wait with her. You go get some food."

The second Jeff left, Minho had his hand in Y/N's. "Shank can't stop be from doing what I want." He huffed. "Doesn't matter if I get sick, we're in this together."

He was so used to Y/N's witty responses that when he paused to hear her speak it felt like the world was falling apart at the absence of her voice. If she never came out of this, Minho wasn't sure how his life was going to carry out. It would be just as easy for him to give up on the maze entirely as it would be for him to pour his entire being into it, eventually getting himself killed. Minho knew he relied on Y/N for a lot of things, but this situation was really making it settle in that he needed her just to keep breathing. Seeing her sick and not knowing whether she was going to make it out of this was opening some deep wounds on Minho.

Everyday for the next three days Minho stayed with Y/N from the moment he returned from the maze to sunrise the next day. His life was the maze and Y/N. That was it.

Today, Newt walked in on Minho with Y/N's hand in his, held up to his face. "Minho, you need to take a break."

"I can't," He muttered. "Not when she's like this."

Newt sat down on the cot Y/N lay in and looked his friend in the eyes. "Just tonight. I'll keep an eye on her, alright?"

Minho's eyes began to water for seemingly no reason. He dropped Y/N's hand and sighed deeply. Newt only felt remorse for his friend.

"We're all worried," Newt sympathized. "I can't imagine how much worse this is for you. But, you need rest. This will all pass with time and we need you to keep your bloody head on straight, yeah?"

The runner nodded and slowly lifted his stiffened body up out of the chair. He gazed over Y/N once more before biting the inside of his cheek and placing a hand on Newt's shoulder as he head out the door.

It was only hours after Minho left that Newt nearly had a heart attack the moment Y/N sprung up in the bed. Her eyes were wide and she was breathing heavy, yet she seemed calm. The girl looked to Newt, away again, then back to Newt. "I need to—" She struggled out of the cot. "We gotta go—"

Newt, as fast as he could, chased after the girl. The sun had nearly completely set behind the maze walls and the doors were just about to close. Y/N seemed on a mission though and Newt knew if she started running, he wasn't going to catch her. Instinctively, he started hollering out for his friends to help him. Luckily, Winston and Alby were both close enough and began sprinting to catch Y/N before she got to those doors.

"Minho! Get up, man!" Frypan hollered out, catching onto the commotion. "They need your help!"

Without having any information, Minho already knew what was going on. There was no other reason his friends would be screaming for him at the tops of their lungs if it hadn't to do with Y/N. She had either woken up or her condition took a steep decline. Momentarily, as he sprinted across the Glade, dizzy from having jumped out of his hammock so fast, he cursed himself for leaving her side. For all he knew, this could've been his fault.

As his vision cleared and he came closer to the commotion, his friends were calling from the maze doors, not the medjacks. Getting closer, his heart sped up. Y/N was there, sitting in the dirt with Newt and Jeff close at her side.

"Y/N?" Minho's voice sliced right through the air, louder and higher pitched than normal. He was panicking. Pushing past his friends, he got closer to her.

The girl caught his eyes as he dropped down to his knees in front of her. Minho grabbed her face, confused as to what was happening. Was she worse? Granted, she was awake which was a good sign. But why was she here? Had she tried to run into the maze?

Y/N's eyes were frantic as they flickered around his face. "I know."

"Know what? What's going on?" Minho scooted closer to the girl, so much so he almost had her in his lap.

Y/N seemed frozen or like everything was moving in slow motion. It took her much longer than normal to process his words. "There's a way out. I remember."

Even just minutes ago, Minho was on course to self destruct. All he saw was the worst in the world.

Now, he saw the opposite. If there was a way out, he could get Y/N and his friends back into the real world. They could start a new life.