Newt [42]

Helllooo readers :D I'm having a really bad evening and needed something to distract myself so here's a little Newt story. I hope this makes your day, however it may be going, a little bit better!

    "Heya," Newt squat down beside the girl who sat in that grass under some trees near the homestead. He tilt his head and smiled lightly as he scanned her features, reaching up and swiping his thumb over her cheek. He examined the odd colour of blue that was now smeared on his thumb. It must have been from some of plants they'd been working with in the medjack hut. "Been hard at work I see?"

    The girl sighed and closed the book she was writing in. "We've tried everything we can think of. Nothing has been able to bring back any memories, nothing safe, that is."

    Newt sat himself down and picked at some grass, shyly looking up at her beneath his shaggy hair. "Ah, so that's what this blue us?"

    Y/N lift her hand and gently wiped away the blue tint from Newt's finger. Immediately he flushed and lowered his gaze even lower. "Yeah, it's from the flowers Minho found growing in the maze." She explained. "They seemed promising...but no effect. At least it makes bruises go away when applied to the skin."

    Newt watched as the girls thoughts spun in circles. He thought back to how she became a medjack. The day she'd arrived in the glade when he was still healing from his injures and she somehow knew all the right ways to treat him, aiding in a quicker recovery. If there was one good memory from that time, that was it.

    "Well, good news is, I think there's another way of bringing back small memories." Newt enticed her with very few words.

    Her eyes shot up, as curious as ever. "What?"

    "C'mon," He lift himself up off of the ground and held out a hand to the girl. She took it more than happily and followed him across the glade.

    "Okay, just sit here for a minute." He motioned to a spot in the dirt and without question, Y/N sat.

    Newt disappeared for a minute. Y/N wait awkwardly, but he was back sooner than she expected. When he returned, he was eyeing up the stick he had brought back with him, snapping it to a very specific length. He then sat across from her, cross legged with a goofy smile. "Ok, try drawing me."

    Y/N took the stick with a confused expression. "With the stick? In the dirt?"

    "Yeah! Do it." Newt egged her on, laughing. He knew it seemed ridiculous.

    Y/N laughed and tried. She drew some wonky lines in an attempt to meet his resemblance. Then, she froze. She dropped the stick and looked up to him.

    "Hmmm?" He raised his bows and put his hands on his knees.

    Y/N looked at the drawing. She looked to her hand and then to Newt sitting right across from her. "We've done this before. Before the maze? Haven't we?"

    "Yeah," Newt drew circles in the dirt with his finger, avoiding looking up. "We have. I guess certain things with certain people have the ability to trigger memories, like reverse dejavu."

    "How'd you know that this would trigger it, though?" Y/N asked in disbelief.

    "Ah," He rubbed the back of his neck and tried to straighten up. "I just had a feeling. I can't really explain it."

    The girl stifled a laugh and threw herself forward, arms over his shoulders and nose in his har. "You're amazing. Thank you."