Newt [8]

"They got inside somehow. They're taking me to live with the other Cranks. It's for the best. Thanks for being my friends. Goodbye."

"Newt..." Thomas whispered. The pain in his voice was evident, but nothing compared to the hurt in Y/N's heart. She already knew that Newt was gone. If they went looking for their friend, they'd never find the Newt they were looking for. They'd never find the Newt the used to know, just a disturbing version of their friend, now with a diseased mind.

The Crank Palace was revolting. Things and people were rotting away right and left, and the thought of Newt being forced to live here made everyone sick. He of all people didn't deserve it.

"What kind of a name is Newt anyway?" One of the Cranks Thomas was trying to talk to snarled, causing Y/N to snap out of her thoughts. Her entire body tensed at the name, something Minho took notice to immediately. Y/N wanted to scream at the person— the Crank— the comment came from. She wanted to explain to them how good of a person Newt was, how many terrible things he'd been through, and how he didn't deserve this. But Minho was one step ahead, placing a firm hand on her shoulder, sending a glare which said 'don't.'

After a while of searching the Central Zone of the Palace, the guards who had gone searching for Newt came back with grim faces.

"Took some asking around, but I think we found your guy. Looks just like you described, and he turned toward us when we called his name. But..." The guards exchanged an uncomfortable glance.

"But what?" Minho pushed.

"He said—very pointedly, I might add—to tell you guys to get lost."

No one in the group was having it. They'd come this far, risked so many lives just to see him again. To try and save him. To bring him home. "Bullshit." Y/N muttered.

"Show us where he is." Minho demanded.

Wails came from every direction and the smells only got worse as the group walked through the Palace. Even though she walked with Minho and Thomas on either side of her, they offered no comfort. Deep down, she knew they wouldn't be leaving with Newt. They were running on a hope that didn't exist. The voices of Cranks got louder and nastier, the floor she kept her eyes glued on got dustier.

"I can see him in the back," Minho said, his face pinched with worry. "It's dark in there, but it's definitely him."

Y/N didn't want to look up. She didn't know how far gone he was at this point.

"Here goes nothing," Thomas said, making sure Y/N and Minho stuck close.

No more than ten feet away, Newt's voice finally came with a raucous sound that tore at Y/N's heart. "I told you bloody shanks to get lost!"

"We need to talk to you," Minho said as he moved a couple of feet closer.

"Don't come any closer," Newt answered. His voice was soft but full of menace. "Those thugs brought me here for a reason. They thought I was bloody Immune holed up in that shuck Berg. Imagine their surprise when they could tell I had the Flare eating my brain. Said they were doing their civic duty when they dumped me in this rat hole."

"Why do you think we're here, Newt? I'm sorry they brought you here. But we can break you out—it doesn't look like anyone gives a klunk who comes or goes." Thomas spoke up.

Newt grotesquely twisted around to face them. Clutched in his hands was a launcher.

"Whoa, there," Minho said, suddenly stepping to the side to reveal the small, frail girl hiding behind him. "Slim it nice and calm. There's no need to point a shuck launcher at our faces while we talk."