Shade#240 (S12): Snoopin'

CUT TO: EAST VILLAGE, HANGER HILL

EXT. ALLISON CONSTRUCTION SUPPLY - AFTERNOON

SHADE ARRIVES AT A FREIGHT YARD IN EAST VILLAGE AND MEETS WITH TORIA.

[Shade]

Man, I haven't been out here in a long time.

[Toria]

Yeah, it's gotten a lot better in some aspects but still the same in a lot of others.

[Shade]

So what's been going on?

[Toria]

There have been reports of people who have gone missing in seemingly what's thin air.

[Shade]

Any leads at all?

[Toria]

No, not right now. We're checking security cameras and trying to get information from the locals but it seems like no one has seen anything.

[Shade]

Hm.

[Toria]

Whatcha thinking?

[Shade]

If as many people as you say have gone missing then I think we're gonna need a lot more than just the local security surveillance. We need to find someone who knows something.

[Toria]

And who might that be?

SHADE LOOKS AROUND AND SEES A HOMELESS MAN GOING THROUGH SOME TRASH.

[Shade]

How about the eyes of the street more or less.

SHADE GOES OVER TO THE HOMELESS MAN AND TAPS HIM ON THE SHOULDER. THE MAN JUMPS AT THE SIGHT OF HIM AND TAKES OFF.

[Shade]

Hey, wait! Dammit.

[Toria]

Great, who the hell are we gonna talk to now?

SUDDENLY AN OLD MAN WALKS OUT FROM BEHIND THE BUILDING HE WAS SITTING BEHIND.

[Old Homeless Man]

Well, look at who it is. The lapdog of the system.

[Shade]

'Cuse me?

[Old Homeless Man]

You heard me. You skulking around looking to throw some people in jail.

[Shade]

Only the people that need to be there.

[Old Homeless Man]

The people you pick and choose.

[Shade]

Yeah, yeah. Look, I'm trying to get some information on some people in the area that have gone missing. You know anything about it?

[Old Homeless Man]

You want me to talk for free?

[Shade]

Well, if you don't help me find the least of these then who's really being a lapdog?

[Old Homeless Man]

Nice try but I don't owe anyone anything and unlike you, I stay out of other people's business.

[Shade]