Shade#292 (S14): Hound

CUT TO: DOWNTOWN DISTRICT

EXT. DOWNTOWN - NIGHT

A DOG RUNS INTO AN ALLEY, LOOKS AROUND, AND HIDES UNDER A DUMPSTER. A FEW SECONDS LATER, FROM THE DOG'S PERSPECTIVE, THE DOG CAN SEE TWO MEN WHO HAVE ARRIVED IN THE ALLEY.

[Man#1]

Where the hell did that rat go?

[Man#2]

As fast as it is, it could be anywhere.

[Man#1]

That's right. This begs the question of why you let it get away!

[Man#2]

Me? You were the one who let the window down. You know how much of a weasel that mutt is.

[Man#1]

I was trying to score points with those checks and you managed to screw that up.

[Man#2]

Oh, screw off. Look all that matters now is that we find the mutt or the boss won't be happy about it. You know how he can be.

[Man#1]

Come on, let's keep looking.

THE TWO MEN LEAVE THE ALLEY AND WHEN THE COAST IS CLEAR THE DOG LEAVES DOWN THE OPPOSITE PATHWAY OF THE ALLEY.

CUT TO: THE NEXT DAY, THE HEIGHTS

EXT. HOUSE - LATE MORNING

JACOB AND MICAELA ARRIVE AT A HOUSE IN THE HEIGHTS.

[Jacob]

So, what's the deal with these guys?

[Micaela]

Not sure. All I know is that Elder owes this lady a favor or something. As soon as she called he wasn't hesitant to send us out here.

[Jacob]

Great. Just great. Let's just get this over with, yeah?

JACOB AND MICAELA APPROACH THE FRONT DOOR, JACOB RINGS THE DOORBELL AND A FEW SECONDS LATER A TALL BUTLER OPENS THE DOOR.

[Butler]

The detectives I presume?

[Jacob]

Yeah. We're here to see Mrs. McCarthy.

THERE IS SILENCE BETWEEN THE THREE AS THEY HEAR SOBBING FROM INSIDE OF THE HOUSE.

[Butler]

Right, this way.

JACOB AND MICAELA WALK INTO THE LIVING ROOM AND APPROACH MRS. MCCARTHY WHO IS CRYING ON HER COUCH. MRS. MCCARTHY WEARS A ROBE, HAS GONE THROUGH ONE BOX OF TISSUES AND BLOWS HER NOSE AFTER A FIT OF DRAMATIC WAILING.

[Jacob]

Mrs. McCarthy, we're with the BRPD. Chief Elder told us that you wanted to file a report.

[Mrs. McCarthy]

Yes, that's correct. It's my precious, loving, wonderful, adorable, and slightly musty Veraminta! Some hoodlums stole her while I was out walking her! They came out of nowhere in a rusted van, shouting epithets! The thugs! Oh, what is this city coming to? I live out here to get away from the pandemonium! And where were the police?! Oh, I found myself alone with not a soul to help me!

[Jacob]

Hold on, you're calling to make a report of a stolen dog?

[Mrs. McCarthy]