Shade#221 (S10): Disconnect

CUT TO: POLICE STATION

EXT. TORIA'S OFFICE- NIGHT

[Shade]

They said they didn't know where Desmod and Pachyrhicas were at.

[Toria]

You buy that?

[Shade]

I made myself clear that I wasn't screwing around with him. He didn't know.

[Toria]

Well, we'll keep our ears to the ground. Also, there's something in the news that I wanted to ask you about.

[Shade]

What's that?

[Toria]

People caught on video the magical restructuring of all the damage caused by Ronin. You wouldn't happen to have any idea of what was going on there, would you?

[Shade]

I made a wish to a genie.

[Toria]

You know, I shouldn't be too surprised by that answer but coming from you it just seems like the kind of thing that would happen.

[Shade]

I wished for world peace first and she said that she wasn't powerful enough to make it happen. Repairing the city was the next best thing that I could think of. Hopefully, now things will quiet down.

[Toria]

Here's to hope.

[Shade]

Do you know when Commissioner Reed is coming back?

[Toria]

I heard that he was retiring.

[Shade]

What? He's not that old.

[Toria]

I don't think that his age had anything to do with it. After what happened I can't blame him.

[Shade]

Yeah, I guess so. Who's going to take his place?

[Toria]

Don't know. Hell, I don't even know if his retirement is official. From what I've heard he's having trouble with his liver.

[Shade]

Great, more questions. No answers. Just what we need.

[Toria]

Listen, you need to know that the next person to take his place will not feel the same way. I'm sure of that, you need to be prepared for the worst-case scenario.

[Shade]

They won't catch me.

[Toria]

Catching may be the least of your worries.

[Shade]

They'll have to be able to do something about me first then.

[Toria]

This just won't ever stop, will it?

[Shade]

One day it will.

[Toria]

It was rhetorical.

[Shade]

I gave an answer anyway.