Shade#280 (S14): Heartache

CUT TO: DOWNTOWN DISTRICT

INT. COLLEGE GYM - AFTERNOON

KELFORD PRACTICES WITH HIS SPARRING PARTNER STRUGGLING FOR A FEW SECONDS BEFORE HE WRESTLES HIS PARTNER TO THE GROUND. KELFORD HELPS HIS SPARRING PARTNER TO HIS FEET AND HIS SPARRING PARTNER PATS HIM ON THE SHOULDER.

[Nigel]

Dude, you never disappoint. I'm always trying to get like you.

[Kelford]

Thanks. Although, if you had your pick you might want to choose someone else.

[Harrison]

(From behind)

Yeah, his talent is great but what good is talent if you've got a time limit on it?

KELFORD AND NIGEL TURN TO FACE HARRISON.

[Nigel]

Harrison? Again, with this? What are you, 7?

[Harrison]

Let's just say that I'm as honest as someone who's 7.

[Kelford]

Yeah, well I'm better than you with half a heart so what does that say about you?

[Harrison]

As I said, you've got talent and you put in the work to back it up. Let me ask you this though. If you knew that after all this work you could lose it all because your body just couldn't handle it, why risk it? Why put all of that on the team? We all want to win.

[Nigel]

What's your point?

[Harrison]

My point is that Kelford's talent not only makes him a legend but also makes him a target. If I recall, the biggest upset of your career was in '10. You went up against a 160lbs senior as a sophomore weighing in at 125lbs and managed to beat him with half the air in your lungs and had to be wheeled off the mat. People will want to challenge that legend as well. You should step down as a leader and let someone else take your place.

[Kelford]

If they earned my spot, then I would.

[Harrison]

Then how about I prove it to you?

[Kelford]

I don't have to prove anything to you. It's up to Coach G to decide.

[Harrison]

He likes legends, and that means that you get the pick in that regard. It doesn't mean that you're better though.

[Kelford]

Then I'll spar with you and prove it.

[Harrison]

I would like nothing more.

CUT TO: LATER, DOWNTOWN DISTRICT

INT. COLLEGE GYM - AFTERNOON

KELFORD AND HARRISON GET INTO THE STARTING POSITION.

[Coach G]

Alright, I want you two to know something before this gets started. You're some of the best wrestlers we've got and normally I wouldn't stand for my judgment being questioned. However, if you really believe that this is the best way to come to a conclusion regarding this issue, I will allow it. If you believe you're right, prove it.

COACH G BLOWS HIS WHISTLE. KELFORD AND HARRISON BEGIN MOVING AROUND LOOKING FOR WAYS TO ATTACK, GET INTO A STRUGGLE AND KELFORD LOSES HIS FOOTING. HARRISON ATTEMPTS TO LIFT KELFORD UP AND SLAM HIM BUT KELFORD GETS HIS FEET INTO POSITION AND STOPS THE ATTEMPT. COACH G BLOWS HIS WHISTLE, THE TWO COMPETITORS RESET AND THE NEXT BOUT BEGINS WHEN COACH G BLOWS HIS WHISTLE. HARRISON BEGINS TO MOVE AROUND KEEPING KELFORD IN MOTION. KELFORD GOES FOR AN ATTEMPT TO SCORE A POINT BUT HARRISON KEEPS HIS GUARD UP UNTIL THEY'RE BOTH OUT OF BOUNDS. THERE IS ANOTHER RESET, THE COMPETITORS GET INTO THE STARTING POSITIONS AND HARRISON NOTICES BY THE WAY KELFORD IS BREATHING THAT HE IS GETTING TIRED. AS COACH G BLOWS THE WHISTLE AGAIN, HARRISON IMMEDIATELY GOES FOR AN ATTACK. KELFORD HOWEVER PLANTS HIMSELF, THE TWO COMPETITORS CRASH INTO EACH OTHER AND THEY STRUGGLE FOR A COUPLE OF SECONDS. HARRISON THEN SPINS AROUND KELFORD, GRABS HIM, AND BEGINS TRYING TO PIN HIM. KELFORD HOLDS A POSITION TO KEEP HARRISON FROM PINNING HIM, BEGINS TO EXPERIENCE SOME CHEST PAIN AND HARRISON MANAGES TO PIN HIM. COACH G BLOWS THE WHISTLE AND KELFORD LOOKS UP AT THE LIGHTS WHILE BREATHING HEAVILY WITH A FACE OF NONCHALANTLY DEFEATED EXPRESSION.