Shade#286 (S14): Blackout

CUT TO: MIDTOWN DISTRICT

INT. PHARMACY - AFTERNOON

DR. VILLEGAS WATCHES AS JOSEPH IS CARRIED OUT OF THE PHARMACY BY THE POLICE. JOSEPH STRUGGLES BUT IS OVERWHELMED BY THE EFFORTS OF THE POLICE AND PLACED INTO A SQUAD CAR. ONE OF THE POLICE OFFICERS APPROACHES DR. VILLEGAS WITH A NOTEPAD TO GET A STATEMENT FROM HER.

[Police Officer#1]

You're Dr. Villegas, correct? One of your employees said that Mr. Judd came here with the intent to see you. I was wondering if you would like to provide a statement.

[Dr. Villegas]

No, I wouldn't.

[Police Officer#1]

You have nothing to say even though he came here looking for you?

[Dr. Villegas]

What part of no did you not understand?

THE POLICE OFFICER FLIPS HIS POCKETBOOK CLOSED WITH A VEXED EXPRESSION.

[Police Officer#1]

If you insist.

POLICE OFFICER#1 LEAVES AND THE PHARMACY CLERK APPROACHES DR. VILLEGAS.

[Pharmacy Clerk]

What are you doing? You're not going to tell them anything? 

[Dr. Villegas]

I can't tell them anything, Stacey. Let's just leave it at that.

[Stacey]

No, that's not fair. Everyone could have been killed in here today because of that guy.

[Dr. Villegas]

You're fine. We're fine. You just need to calm down.

[Stacey]

Do not tell me to calm down.

DR. VILLEGAS DRAGS STACEY TO THE BACK ROOM.

[Stacey]

What are you doing?

[Dr. Villegas]

Do you know how fast it took the cops to get here? After Kelford saved us, it took the cops 13 minutes to show up and that's after Joseph wasn't a threat anymore. 

[Stacey]

We could have them patrol closer if we tell them what's going on.

[Dr. Villegas]

Look, there's a reason I moved over here. The system made it so that you have to wean your patients off of medications so they don't go through withdrawals. The problem is more irresponsible patients get hooked before the weaning process can be exercised to the full extent. Joseph was one of those people.

[Stacey]

Yes and he pointed a gun at you.

[Dr. Villegas]

This is serious, Stacey. What if he would have sought out harder drugs?

[Stacey]

That's his choice. 

[Dr. Villegas]

No, it's the system. There are far too many pills provided leaving patients addicted and unable to cope as they should. I can't be a part of something like that. Joseph's only mistake was that he wanted to play football and he got hurt. He became more intrusive as time went on and it wasn't just him. That's why I came here.