Shade#294 (S14): Government interference

CUT TO: WEST CENTRAL DISTRICT

INT. COFFEE SHOP - MORNING

TYNICE SITS AT A TABLE READING THE NEWS ABOUT SHADE'S CHARITY TO IRON MEAL. A FEW SECONDS LATER DOUGLASS COMES BACK TO THE TABLE WITH TWO COFFEES.

[Tynice]

Can you believe this? Shade donated money to the same people he likes to kick in the face. Just what the hell does he think he's going to accomplish?

[Douglass]

I thought you hated Shade.

[Tynice]

Does it sound like I'm trying to pay him any compliments?

[Douglass]

No. Why trouble yourself with all of his goings on?

[Tynice]

Because this is something that affects everyone!

[Douglass]

Surely the police will be able to do something.

[Tynice]

I don't know if there's much they can do. Even with Elder not wanting to work with Shade, they still can't catch him.

[Douglass]

Why do you hate Shade so much?

[Tynice]

Kids are dumb and myopic. It's why a lot of kids only learn from examples and mistakes. My nephew threw in with the wrong crowd because it was all that he knew. Shade being the self-righteous prick he is, caused him to earn a third strike.

[Douglass]

So you hate that Shade got to him before you did?

[Tynice]

I suppose that's one interpretation. I believe that trying to annex that level of authority without going through the proper channels despite what the world around you looks like is what I have a problem with. People are just thrown in jail and you know they don't learn any lesson besides to do whatever they can never to go back there.

[Douglass]

Well, certainly you can't believe that about everyone who ends up there.

[Tynice]

I don't. Why us though? Why the people who need the most chances?

[Douglass]

Perhaps because the chances allotted to us as a whole shouldn't be obstructed by us either.

TYNICE TAKES A SOP OF HER COFFEE.

[Tynice]

All I know is that Shade needs to face the same justice.

[Douglass]

He will. He can't get lucky all the time. Sooner or later, someone will come along who can put him in his place.

DOUGLASS TAKES A SIP OF HIS COFFEE. TYNICE THEN LIGHTLY TOUCHES DOUGLASS' HANDS.

[Tynice]

I'm sorry. Let's talk about something else. What kind of TV do you like to watch?

[Douglass]

I really do like documentaries.

[Tynice]

What? I like documentaries too.

CUT TO: EAST DISTRICT

EXT. BILL AND HILLARY CLINTON NATIONAL AIRPORT - NIGHT