Chapter Thirty-Two: A Daughter's Blessing

10th of July 2004 - Clarence House, London

Staring at her father, Adeline could not help but wonder how long it would actually take him to say the words that had brought her here that afternoon. 

It was not unusual for her father to request her presence in his office but this was the first time that Adeline had seen him lost for words or struggling to find them. 

The school holidays had arrived and Adeline had been looking forward to relaxing around Clarence House for as long as she could especially give the fact that it was her last real summer here. 

Next year she would be off on her gap year after finishing school and she was looking forward to what that meant for her, the first time that she would find her feet on her own and crave out her own path. 

"Dad? We've been sitting here for twenty minutes and you've still not said anything," Adeline nudged, it was a beautiful day and she would much rather be enjoying the gardens with a good book to read. 

She had quite a collection now and she just loved the quiet moments where she could curl up in a comfortable spot and read for hours undisturbed by the world around her. 

Charles looked startled, he checked his watch almost surprised to find out that she was correct and they had been sat in silence while he built up the courage to tell her. 

He had not had to worry about William who had been supported and encouraged him, his eldest had a good head on his shoulders and he could not imagine how he would break the news to Harry. 

"Yes well, this is a matter that I have been meaning to speak to you about," Charles started, his mouth felt dry and he sipped on his cold cup of tea with a frown upon his face at the taste of the cold liquid.

He set down his cup and clasped his hands before him, he could not back out now especially when he had already done so several times; it had to be now or he would never gather the courage to do so. 

"As you are aware, Camilla and I have been together for several years now," Charles continued, his words failed him and he tried to work out what he was going to say and he wanted nothing more than to make this as easy as possible. 

It was not going to be easy, he was already aware that many would be upset with his decision but he had always made it clear that his relationship with Camilla was non-negotiable.

A smile formed on Adeline's face, she had been expecting this talk much sooner and she had known it would be coming; it had been eight years since her parents had divorced and seven years since her mother's death. 

Adeline had never expected her father to stay single forever, she would have wanted her mother to move on and be happy if she were alive; she would never deny her father happiness when she knew that her own future would one day be judged. 

Her life was changing so quickly, she had always had some sort of protection when it came to her life because she was a child but those days were numbered and she was quickly growing up. 

It felt like there was so much decided for her and yet at the same time there was so much that she had to decide for herself. 

"Dad, it's okay. I kind of expected that this would happen. I am happy for you and I am sure that you and Camilla will be incredibly happy together," Adeline told him softly, she reached across the table and squeezed his hand. 

It would not be easy especially with people who had been supporters of her mother likely to create a serious stink over this, they would say that her father and Camilla did not deserve happiness because her mother did not have it.