Chapter Sixty-Eight: The Second Deployment

2nd of June 2010 - FitzClarence House

"I have a gift for you," Simon stated nervously, he wasn't entirely sure how she would take the news especially since he had planned this without asking her.

It felt entirely out of the blue but it was something that he felt that Adeline would need, he wanted her to be happy while he was away and knew how much she worried about him in his absence.

His second deployment was right around the corner, he was due to leave that afternoon to fly out but first he wanted to say his goodbyes properly this time.

It would be the first deployment that he had undertaken without being glued to Harry's side, it had taken months to separate out their two careers after everything that had happened.

The last thing Simon wanted was to spend weeks at a time stuck with someone that he couldn't trust to have his back when they were in a war zone.

"You didn't have to get me anything," Adeline scolded him with a smile, she was curled up on the couch with a book as Simon packed the last of his things for his trip.

She set down the book as her boyfriend produced a box that he carefully moved to set on the table, he looked so nervous as he did so making sure that it was safety on the table before sitting back to watch her.

Adeline raised an eyebrow at him, she couldn't think what he might have brought her this time; she always loved his gifts because they were so well thought out.

Hell, she still wore the bracelet that Simon had bought her when they had first meet; she never took it off and she loved it, the simple decision was perfect for her.

"Just a little something to keep you company while I'm gone," Simon explained, suddenly wondering if he should have cleared this with her father first; he was aware that the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall had dogs.

The royal couple had rescued a couple of Jack Russells not too long ago and now Simon worried how the two might react to his little gift for Adeline.

"Simon," Adeline whispered shaking her head, she opened her mouth to say more when the box moved and she heard a soft whimpering coming from inside the box; she didn't hesitate to lift off the unsecure lid to see what was inside.

Adeline gasped softly at the sight of the puppy, the adorable pup attempting to escape the box that he had been placed in.

Simon smiled seeing the look on Adeline's face, slowly reaching into the box to lift the puppy out and place him onto Adeline's lap; the puppy quickly jumping up to greet Adeline by placing kisses across her face.

"You didn't have to do this," Adeline said shaking her head, she cuddled the Irish red and white setter puppy to her chest unable to believe that this was happening.

This was certainly not what she had been expecting to happen when she had come to see her boyfriend, it would be the last time that she saw him for six months before he went on deployment.

"The next few months aren't going to be easy, I thought this little guy could keep you company," Simon said reaching out to stroke the soft hair on the top of the puppy's head.

He had done his research when it came to picking a puppy and he thought that this one would be a good match for Adeline; a companion when she went jogging who would certainly enough the countryside when she had the chance to go there.

"What are you going to call him?" Simon asked softly, he had to admit he had gotten a little attached to the puppy who had spent the last two days hiding in his home so that Adeline wouldn't find out about this.