Chapter Fifty-Three: The Royal Variety Performance 2006

4th of December 2006 - London Coliseum

The call had come rather late in the day from her father and Adeline had been rather surprised that it was her that he thought to ask considering her brothers were stationed closer than she was. 

However with Camilla feeling under the weather, Charles had been faced with two options attend the royal variety performance alone or find someone to attend with him rather last minute. 

That was how Adeline found herself sitting in a car with her father as they pulled up outside the London Coliseum, she felt rather nervous as the car slowed to a stop and her father climbed out. 

Adeline followed after him, smiling as she climbed from the car onto the red carpet and towards the people that were waiting to greet them; once her father had moved along the line she followed him, shaking hands and offering small talk to those as she moved along. 

It all rather moved along quite quickly and Adeline followed as they made their way inside the building and up the stairs where there were even more people waiting to greet them and shake their hands. 

At the end of the line was little girl that offered Adeline the sweetest curtsy before she offered her the flowers that she was holding, Adeline thanked her with a warm smile; very aware that her every move was being caught on camera. 

Then they were moved onto to the royal booth were they would be seating, Adeline was relieved that the stairs had a railing that she could use and noted that she'd wear shorter heels in the future for such events. 

"Ladies and Gentlemen please welcome Jack Topping and the fanfare trumpeters of the band of the royal artillery," the announcer called and Adeline's heart pounded in her chest as she considered what would come next. 

It had never really crossed her mind before about how on display she'd be during such events, people watching her every move and she was almost relieved that the show wouldn't be out for a couple more days. 

The royal variety was always filled several days in advance of when it was shown, the show was held annually in aid of the Royal Variety Charity having been started all the way back in 1912 by King George V and Queen Mary. 

"Please be upstanding for His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales and Her Royal Highness Princess Adeline of Wales," the announcer said causing the audience to get to their feet and a round of applause as Charles stepped out from behind the curtain to take his seat.

Adeline followed after him as the trumpeters played their salute, they stood before their seats and looked out over the crowded room as the national anthem started to play. 

The choir boy who sang along with the trumpeters as they played the national anthem looked more nervous than Adeline felt and she had to admit that she didn't think she'd ever like being the sole focus of everyone's attention. 

Once the national anthem had finished playing, Adeline took her seat along with her father and the band left the stage. 

"Your Royal Highness, Lords, Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome your host for the evening, Jonathon Ross," the announcer called as the curtains lifted revealing the host of that evening to the audience. 

Adeline relaxed into her seat, she had watched enough of these on television growing up to know how they played out and she knew that there would not be much expected of her until the end. 

There were a few acts tonight that she did know, thankful for that at least that Tuesday didn't hold any classes for her; she had planned to spend the day on coursework and helping Lucy decorate the Christmas tree that they'd bought.