Chapter Forty-Eight: The Parker Bowles Wedding

10th of September 2005 - St. Nicholas' Church, Rotherfield Greys

"Adeline," Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall called in greeting to her step-daughter, she made her way over to Adeline when she saw her walk through the doors of the church where her son was set to get married that day. 

It was a little strange to think that her son was getting married, even with the months of planning and she was relieved that it was a much quieter affair than her own wedding only a few months earlier. 

While it had only been a couple of weeks since Adeline had departed for Kenya, but it felt like much longer and Camilla knew that her husband was missing having his only daughter at home. 

With Adeline now out of the house on her gap year William and Harry both training with the army; Charles now found himself with a bit of an empty nest for the first time in years. 

It had been a strange sensation for her husband, even though the three children still called Clarence House their official home; their rooms left as they were for them to come home at any time. 

"Camilla," Adeline greeted in reply, she pressed a kiss to each of Camilla's cheeks before stepping back and peering over Camilla's shoulder at the other guests that were already inside. 

A small part of her was relieved to see that Catherine was already seated inside; she was attending as William's plus one, although Adeline had been surprised to hear that Chelsey would not be attending with Harry. 

News of another fight between the couple had reached even Adeline, she didn't even want to know what they were fighting about this time. 

Camilla was quickly distracted by more guests after some small talk, allowing Adeline to slip away from her and she made her way over to Catherine who pulled her into a hug. 

"You really caught the sun out there," Catherine teased admiring the tan that Adeline had picked up, it really suited Adeline especially in the pale blue dress that she was wearing and Catherine was happy to see a friendly face.

It had been a little strange to arrive at a wedding where she barely knew anyone, she was a plus one and she had arrived separately from William due to the minor media presence outside the church hoping to catch sight of the royals. 

"How was Kenya?" Catherine asked gently pulling Adeline into the pew where she was seating, it wasn't far from where William would be seated as they would not be sitting together. 

She picked at a lose thread at the skirt of her dress and peeked around feeing a little awkward about being here before she turned her attention to Adeline who reminded her so much of Pippa. 

Adeline grinned before she started to share with Catherine some of the experiences that she'd had while she had been in Kenya and the classes that she had been teaching. 

It truly had been an eye-opening experience and Adeline wouldn't trade this time for anything in the world especially given the fact that she knew how precious this time was when finding herself. 

"You went on a date?" Catherine gasped a little surprised after hearing how Adeline had bumped into Oliver and he had asked her out, she had to admit that she was thrilled for Adeline especially after how things had ended with Nick. 

It had been a little while since the break up and Catherine knew that Nick hadn't been the best first boyfriend for Adeline especially with his insecurities. 

It was only then that Adeline recounted the disastrous date that she'd been on with Oliver, how he'd left her waiting for ages then showed up in a complete mess.