Chapter Nineteen: The Sound of Silence

1st of September 1999 - York House, London

Charles was not entirely sure what had occurred between his children, but the fight must have been bad considering that Adeline and Harry had barely said a word to one another in two weeks. 

It was nearly time for the children to return to school and still there was no sign of the fight between the siblings dissolving anytime soon; he had spoken to William but his oldest had not said much about the fight. 

Apparently, Harry had not been too pleased with the fact that Adeline was spending time with Camilla and had snapped at her but he was sure there was more to it. 

Sitting down for lunch, Charles frowned looking at his three children who were sat in silence; he eyed each of them knowing that they could not continue on like this when they should be able to rely on one another. 

"Is anyone excited to return to school?" Charles asked trying to start a conversation, his response was his children shrugging at him and not saying a word which only worried him even more. 

They stared down at their plates and Charles had a feeling that if he wanted answers then he was going to have to deal with this now; he had never known them to have a fight as bad as this one. 

"That's it. Will one of you tell me what is going on this instant," Charles demanded setting down his cutlery, he didn't know what had gotten into them but he wasn't going to put up with this a moment longer. 

There was more silence and Charles pursed his lips, his eyes sweeping over each of his children who avoided his gaze as he did so; he waited for a moment knowing that he was going to get to the bottom of this. 

"William?" Charles asked turning to his eldest, he was sure to tell him what was going on; he could always count on him especially when it came to keeping an eye on his younger siblings and keeping them in line. 

However, today William did not say a word instead he stared down at his lunch not wanting to get anyone in trouble; Harry seemed to be doing enough of that himself recently and he did not want to make the situation worse.

"It's nothing," William mumbled knowing that it would only make things worse if Charles got involved, he wanted to give Harry a chance to realise that he was in the wrong and to apologise. 

It was not going to get any better while Harry continued to feel like he was the only one that was struggling with the loss of their mother; it was something that they all had to learn to deal with in their own ways. 

"Harry? Adeline? Would one of you like to tell me what is going on?" Charles asked turning to his younger children, he did not understand why they would not tell him what was going on. 

The room remained silent and Harry glared down at his plate, he knew that he would just get scolded again; he stabbed at his food not feeling that hungry and wanting to get far away from these people. 

"Can I be excused?" Harry said before getting up from his seat and walking out of the room before Charles could say anything; he did not say anything else and headed towards his bedroom. 

Watching Harry leave, Charles frowned knowing that he was going to need to have another talk with him; he wished that there were some way to get him to open up. 

Nothing he did seemed to work with Harry and his youngest son did not seem to want to talk with him about anything; he seemed so angry and he was going to snap, it worried him just what his son might do when that happened. 

Turning back to his other two children, he had a feeling that Harry's behaviour was the cause of whatever had happened between his children; he eyed both William and Adeline knowing that he would be keeping an extra careful eye on them from now on.