Chapter Seventy-Two: Wherever You Are

2 November 2011

Princess Adeline becomes Patron of the Military Wives

Princess Adeline of Wales has become Patron of The Military Wives Choirs. Her Patronage of The Military Wives reflects Her Royal Highness's interest in supporting the spouses of those who serve in the armed forces.

The Military Wives Choirs is a registered charity and network of 75 choirs in British military bases across the UK and overseas, bringing women in the military community closer together through singing.

With over 2,200 members, the MWC network is tri-service and any woman with a military connection can join including those currently serving, veterans, mothers, sisters and daughters, empowering women from across the military community. The organisation is also a subsidiary charity of SSAFA.

Clarence House

###

Catterick Garrison

Climbing out of the car at the army base, Adeline smiled at the crowds that had gathered to see her arrive; the announcement had been rather short notice that she would make this trip to visit her newest patronage.

It was a lovely day, the sun shining down upon them as she moved to shake hands with the ladies that had gathered to welcome her.

None of them could quite believe that Princess Adeline wished to be their royal patron; they had only started back in 2010 when the first choir had held their first rehearsal.

The idea had been created by two Scots Guards whilst their husbands were deployed in Afghanistan in 2009 to encourage women in a similar situation to come together.

It was from there that a letter had been written to Gareth Malone looking for help and support for the choir which had resulted in a television programme had been created.

Introductions were followed by a tour with Adeline being introduced to more members of the Military wives, each of them greeting her with a smile as she spoke with them.

She spoke to them about their lives, why they had joined the choir, listened to their tales of joy and sadness about the difficulty they faced with their lives.

It wasn't easy to essentially be here alone most of them with young children for months on end, she couldn't imagine not having the support of a partner when she had children around for months at a time.

The tour continued on to the choir room, the place where Adeline would give her speech; she had written a couple of notes to prepare herself but she knew exactly what she wanted to say.

It was to be her first public speech that would be broadcast, it made her feel rather nervous but Simon had been so helpful listening to her practice and had done his best to help her.

Today was his birthday, he was twenty-seven years old and Adeline had plans to celebrate with him when she got home later; she had a small party planned for him with a few of their more trusted friends and family.

"Introducing our new patron, Princess Adeline," the announcer said once everyone had taken their seats and gathered into the hall for the speech.

Adeline thanked him as she took to the stage, she rested her hands on the podium and looked out across the crowded room.

"It is a great honour to be here today. To meet all these remarkable women, who hold down the fort while their husbands and partners are fighting for this country," Adeline said starting her speech, she looked at the many women that were here gathered in this place.