Chapter Thirty-Eight: The Portrait

30th of January 2005 - Clarence House

Clasping his hands behind his back and staring out of the window of his office, Prince Charles could not help but ponder the fact that in a matter of days his youngest child would be turning eighteen years old. 

It did not seem like all that long ago that he had been taking William and Harry to the hospital to meet their new baby sister, the anxiety that he had felt especially given the deteriorating condition of his marriage. 

Charles closed his eyes knowing that he would give anything to have Diana here for their children. 

Despite everything that had happened between them at the end of their marriage, they had become good co-parents when they were no longer tied together by a marriage that was not working for either of them. 

He had held hope that she would find someone that would truly make her happier than he ever could, Charles had wanted that for her. 

Moving away from the window, Charles looked back to his desk and the planning that he had been doing for Adeline's birthday party; he had insisted on throwing her one and inviting all of her friends. 

It was a big thing turning eighteen and Charles knew that it would not be long before Adeline would sit her exams and then she would be done with school. 

Discussions had already started to take place on where she would be attending university and planning for her gap year that she would start in August. 

The details of her attendance for university were being kept under wraps and would not be announced until Adeline had already been enrolled in the university of her choosing. 

Security was key and the Palace was already in talk with the University of Chester about what could be done to keep Adeline safe; trying to install as much normalcy as possible in Adeline's experience while also keeping her safe. 

Never had he thought that the last few years would fly over like they had, Adeline was nearly all grown up and Charles dreaded the moment that he would have to let her spread her wings. 

A small part of him wanted nothing more than to wrap her up in cotton wool and hide her away from the world in an attempt to protect her.

It had been decided that an official portrait would be released for Adeline's eighteenth birthday as a way to commemorate the very special occasion. 

It had been the Queen's idea especially since Adeline was the daughter of the future King, it also allowed for the public to see the young Princess especially given the fact that other the major events and celebrations Adeline was out of sight. 

Charles dreaded the day that he would become King despite the fact that many people assumed that he longed for the day. 

The fact that his accession to the throne meant the death of his mother, who had sworn to serve the realms of which she was Queen of for her whole life may it be long or short. 

Charles shook his head, he very much doubted he would be King anytime soon and he knew that there were those who would not wish to see him King at all; he was happy to carry out his duties as the Prince of Wales for however long his mother lived. 

Charles lifted up the list of those invited to the party on Saturday, he had insisted that Adeline invite whoever she pleased and that her guests came first before anyone invited out of duty. 

It was her birthday party afterall and Charles had spared no expense making it perfect, one only turned eighteen once and he was going to make sure that it was well celebrated.