Chapter Forty-Three: London Bombings

7th of July 2005 - Clarence House

Chewing on her finger nails as she stared at the television, Adeline ignored the sound of Harry in the dining room having breakfast; she had returned from jogging around the gardens when she had spotted helicopters flying overhead. 

It was only when she had turned on the television to catch the morning news that she had seen what was going on; her heart pounding in her chest as she recalled the attacks on New York City not even four years earlier. 

It didn't seem real that it was happening here, the sounds of sirens dooming down the streets while the police dealt with four separate attacks across the city. 

The first bomb exploded on a six-car London Underground Circle line train, number 204, travelling eastbound between Liverpool Street and Aldgate. At the time of the explosion, the train's third car was approximately 100 yards along the tunnel from Liverpool Street. The parallel track of the Hammersmith & City line between Liverpool Street and Aldgate East was also damaged in the blast. 

The second bomb exploded in the second car of another six-car London Underground Circle line train, number 216, which had just left Edgware Road and was travelling westbound towards Paddington.An eastbound Circle line train that was passing next to the bombed train was also damaged, as was a wall that later collapsed. 

A third bomb was detonated on a six-car London Underground Piccadilly line train, number 311, travelling southbound from King's Cross St Pancras to Russell Square. The device exploded approximately one minute after the service departed King's Cross, by which time it had travelled about 500 yards. The explosion occurred at the rear of the first car of the train, causing severe damage to the rear of that car as well as the front of the second one. The surrounding tunnel also sustained damage. 

There had also been a fourth explosion, this time on a bus about an hour after the original attacks. The explosion at 9:47 am in Tavistock Square ripped off the roof and destroyed the rear portion of the bus. The blast took place near BMA House, the headquarters of the British Medical Association, on Upper Woburn Place. 

There was chaos on the streets of London, no one seemed to have any idea about what was going on and Adeline felt her stomach turn wondering how people could do such a thing to anyone. 

The shouting in the dining room grew louder and Adeline squeezed her eyes shut trying to drowned out the bickering before she stood up and stormed her way over to the door that separated the two rooms. 

"Will you both shut up!" Adeline shouted pushing open the door, to find Chelsey looking rather surprised at the sight of her while Harry could only offer a glare at his younger sister. 

William was currently on tour in New Zealand with the British and Irish Lions after having graduated from St Andrews with a 2:1 in Geography while Harry was home from training at Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. 

Both Chelsey and Harry looked rather surprised by Adeline's outburst, neither of them sure what had set her off but they watched her turn around and disappear back into the living room where they could hear the television playing. 

Adeline retook her seat on the couch, her legs tucked under her as her brother quietly followed her into the room. 

"Is someone on their period?" Harry teased poking Adeline in the arm, he had never known her to raise her voice like that and he frowned when she ignored him to focus on the television. 

Chelsey stopped Harry from poking Adeline harder, her eyes fixed on the television unable to believe what she was seeing; she moving around the back of the couch to perk on the arm.