Chapter Forty-Nine: In The Summertime

10th of March 2006 - Bondi Beach, Sydney, Australia

"Tell me again why we are at the busiest beach in Australia?" Adeline asked shouldering her bag and following after her friend, the mid-morning sun beating down on them and she already knew her shoulders were going to be burnt. 

The two of them had met while on placement in Kenya and had become fast friends after Adeline had returned from London, it had been Emma that had helped her dodge the persistent advances of Oliver who just wouldn't take no for an answer. 

"The life guards," Emma replied over her shoulder as if it was the most obvious thing in the world, she had talked to Adeline none stop about the cute life guards here. 

She had seen them on some television repeat late at night and from there had insisted that she and Adeline needed to come to Australia before they returned to London and their families. 

The two of them trekked across the beach until they found a spot that gave them the best chances of seeing the life guards in action before they started to set up their little base camp. 

Adeline stifled a laugh as Emma began to instruct her on how they should set their towels to avoid getting them cover in sand, if there was one thing Emma was passionate about it was getting sand everywhere. 

"Okay Anakin," Adeline teased making her friend glare at her before she started to recite Anakin's monologue on how he hated sand cause it was rough. 

The two of them burst into giggles at the sound of Emma's terrible impression of Hayden Christensen as she stared in disgust down at the sand at her feet and lifted her foot to shake it in Adeline's direction. 

Once their towels were all set up, Adeline wasted no time in kicking off her shoes and removing the skirt that she was wearing; her sunglasses resting on the top of her head as she peered out at the ocean.

 "It's beautiful here," Adeline breathed fixing her swimsuit before she turned to look at Emma, massive smiles forming on their faces before the two of them made a mad dash into the Tasman Sea. 

The two of them squealing as they hit the freezing cold water but didn't stop going until they were knee deep, both of them not missing the opportunity to splash the other. 

After a little time spent in the water, Adeline and Emma made their way back to where they had left their towels and the small bag that they had brought with them that had sandwiches and other bits inside. 

The two of them had not dared bring anything important or expensive with them in fear of having their bag robbed while they were at the beach, a common issue that even the lifeguards struggled to put a stop to. 

Stretching out on her towel, Adeline moved to tie her wet hair out of her eyes and dry herself off a little before helping Emma get their packed lunch out of the bag. 

The two of them talking quietly between themselves as they started to have their lunch, occasionally peering up and down the beach at the crowds around them; their eyes catching on the boys in blue as they worked. 

"Okay, that one. That one is the future Mister Emma Clare McQuiston," Emma announced pointing to the blonde-haired lifeguard just feet from them that was returning from another rescue. 

Adeline snorted, she was pretty sure that Emma had said that about every lifeguard that she had laid eyes upon; she wouldn't deny that they were some very decent looking guys. 

The sound of a crying child broke Adeline's attention and she turned away from Emma to look for the source of the crying, it took her a moment to find the source of the crying especially with how busy the beach was.