Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Future

19th of March 2004 - Clarence House, London

Taking a deep breath, Adeline made her way through the hallways of her home knowing that it was not a conversation that should wait; she had been waiting for the right moment to talk with him. 

A part of her did think that her father would not be pleased with her decision, she was aware how much work it had taken to get William into his university and she very much doubted that it would be any easier when she announced her choice. 

With her penultimate year slowly drawing to a close, Adeline could not help but turn her thoughts to what she would do next and had not been able to stop herself from looking into universities. 

Pushing open the door to her father's office, Adeline almost cringed as it bounced back off the wall with how hard she had pushed it; she stared at her father who seemed surprised to see her and she was sure he had forgotten that she was home. 

"Adeline?" Charles asked surprised, he had just returned from an engagement and had expected to spend the rest of his afternoon making phone calls to a few of his charities. 

He had not expected her to come to his office when he was sure that she would have gone to meet up with friends or perhaps the boy that she had gushed to Camilla about; his girlfriend having wanted to warn him. 

Charles might have known that this day was coming but that did not mean he was entirely prepared for her to have her first boyfriend; he had almost worried that meant he would have to give her 'the talk'. 

He would not deny that he had felt entirely relieved when Camilla had laughed at his suggestion and assured him that she had already done so when Adeline had turned thirteen. 

"There's something that I wish to discuss with you," Adeline started, she moved further into the room and took one of the comfy seats that were set closest to her. 

Charles nodded his head, he sat down in his seat and looked across at her trying to work out what was so important; he had never truly seen her this determined and he had a feeling that whatever she had decided that he would not sway her from.

"I've been looking into universities," Adeline started moving to set the research on the desk, she had used her time productively and when she was not preparing for exams then she was looking into what courses she might like to study when she finished school. 

Of course, there was her gap year to consider but she had not been able to help herself and looking through the courses; she had quickly settled on one that interested her the most. 

Carefully picking up the research that Adeline had passed, Charles filled through pleased to see how much she had thought this through; he had no doubts that she had made an informed decision. 

It had never truly been a question for him on what Adeline would want to study, she had always been earmarked in his mind to study English Literature. 

"I want to attend the University of Chester," Adeline said sure of her decision, she had not rushed to make it and had spent time truly researching where she wanted to go. 

Her desire to make people see her differently and not expect her to be like other members of her family, she wanted to be seen as her own person and Charles had to admit that he rather liked how confident she had slowly become. 

"Then we shall see to it," Charles promised her, if she were accepted to the university of which he had little doubt that she would be since her grades were excellent then the right protection was in place. 

It had been difficult to give William the experience that he had wanted especially when they had to make sure that he was kept safe especially with the media wanting to know what he was doing.