Chapter Sixty: Counsellor of State

3rd of February 2008 - Sandringham House

Taking a deep breath as she prepared herself, Adeline had never thought that she'd have such an invitation, she knew that the focus had been on preparing William for his future role as monarch in the past. 

There had been occasions where she and Harry had been invited to attend but the focus was much more on their studies and their future plans. 

It had been a long time since she had been asked to attend a luncheon, much less to come to Sandringham on her birthday although she could imagine what had changed now. 

Being lead through the halls of the place where her family spent every Christmas felt foreign to Adeline as she kept pace with the footman that had collected her from the foyer upon her arrival. 

She'd travelled in from her morning classes and Adeline had been planning on the return trip to London as it was, her father insisting on celebrating her birthday in style this year. 

Finally they reached the drawing room and Adeline paused as the footman knocked on the door before he stepped inside and bowed his head in respect. 

"Her Royal Highness Princess Adeline of Wales, Your Majesty," the footman stated before Adeline made her way into the room, she curtsied to her grandmother who was seated near the fire to combat the cold. 

A slight snow had covered the grounds and Adeline was glad that she had dressed warmly when she had made the trip; she didn't doubt that it would get colder as the day drew to a close. 

"Ahh Adeline, come in," Queen Elizabeth greeted with a warm smile as she signalled for her granddaughter to come and take a seat beside her. 

She had a lovely lunch set out for them and she was pleased that Adeline had been able to make it to see her; she knew how important Adeline's studies were. 

It might have only been a couple of weeks since she had last seen Adeline, she tried to take an interest in what each of her grandchildren did and she was pleased to see that Adeline was coping well. 

Adeline moved across the room, she pressed a kiss to her grandmother's cheek before taking a seat nearby. 

"How are your classes going?" Queen Elizabeth said moving to pour out some tea, she very really got to play hostess these days and she was more than happy to get the chance to do so. 

Her life had been turned upside down fifty-six years ago when her father had passed away, she had been thrust into the position that she currently held and had done all she could to serve her people to the best of her abilities. 

She would be the first to admit that sometimes she made mistakes and she had done her best to move with the ever changing times. 

"They're going well. I'm in the process of getting ready to plot out my dissertation," Adeline replied with a smile, she'd had a meeting with her dissertation professor that morning to discuss the subject that she wished to focus on. 

"How splendid. If I recall correctly William did his on the coral reefs in the Indian Ocean," Queen Elizabeth noted, he had been rather excited about the subject after he had changed his course during the first year to something that he had enjoyed more. 

10,000 words was a lot to write and Queen Elizabeth was thrilled for her grandson knowing that he had certainly worked hard to get the grades that he had. 

"He did. I've decided to do mine on Female Heroes in English Literature," Adeline stated smiling, she was hoping to get approval in the next few days and she knew it was going to be a lot of hard work.