Chapter Eighty-One: The Engagement of Princess Adeline

16 September 2013

The Prince of Wales is delighted to announce the engagement of Princess Adeline to Simon FitzClarence, the Earl of Munster.

The wedding will take place in the Spring or Summer of 2014 at St George's Chapel in Windsor. Further details about the wedding day will be announced in due course.

Her Royal Highness and the Earl of Munster became engaged in August during a private holiday to the Earl's estate up in Scotland over the summer. The Earl of Munster sought and received the blessing of The Prince of Wales.

Clarence House

###

Taking a deep breath as he fixed the collar of his shirt, Simon couldn't quite believe that they were in this situation; the news of his engagement to Adeline had been announced only an hour ago and now it seemed to cover every major news channel in the country.

There was no escaping the talk surrounding their coming nuptials; everyone seemed to have something to say about the news that Adeline was to marry.

"How are we doing in here?" Adeline asked stepping into the bedroom that she had once called her own, it was strange to be back here after everything especially since she had returned to Clarence House for her engagement press call.

The announcement had been given at 11am that morning, with members of the press gathering outside in the family gardens for their photocall and later that afternoon they would give their engagement interview.

"Nearly ready," Simon said peeking at Adeline, it was going to be a long day and he knew that the engagement photos that they'd had taken over the weekend would be released soon enough.

It was different and less formal from the picture that William and Catherine had shared upon their engagement, taken in the fields of Simon's country home by the Duchess of Cambridge who had been thrilled when they had asked.

It pictured the couple staring at one another, the day had been perfect for the taking of the picture and a nice break away from the city while they had the chance to still do so.

The news of their engagement had been well received by many, his mother insisting on throwing the couple an engagement party to celebrate; it had been a long time since they'd had the chance to celebrate anything really.

Adeline moved to help with Simon's tie, it matched the colour of her outfit perfectly and Simon couldn't deny how beautiful she looked in this colour.

"Are you nervous?" Simon asked as Adeline smoothed out his suit, he didn't know what to expect especially since the last time that the royal family had done this it was for William and Catherine.

Everything that they had done was more formally than it was for them, more expected of them as William was going to be King one day; whereas Adeline was never going to be.

It would take a massive accident taking out her father, oldest brother, nephew and elder brother to make that ever happen, something that Adeline nor Simon would never wish for.

"A little," Adeline admitted not exactly looking forward to speak to the press, she knew that only a select few had been called to gather in the gardens; the pictures of the newly engaged couple were expected during the photocall.

It was a short appearance, one that required little from them other than smiling; they would be officially interviewed by Tom Bradby, who had interviewed the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge upon their engagement.