Chapter Fifty-Nine: The First Deployment

9th of December 2007 - FitzClarence House

Taking a deep breath as he looked around his bedroom, Simon took a deep breath as he tried to make sure that he had everything that he needed for the next ten weeks. 

It had been expected. It was what he had trained for in the last two years when he had enrolled at Sandhurst. 

Back when he had started all of this, he was very much plotting out a future for himself in the middle of trying to find his way in the world against the expectations of his father. 

Now, Simon had a lot more to think about including the relationship that he was determined to hide from his best friend who wouldn't take too kindly to the news. 

Simon knew that Harry would eventually have to be told that he and Adeline were a couple, they'd made it over eighteen months now and things had been going well. 

Despite the fact that Adeline was currently at university and focusing on her studies, the two of them spoke at least once a week when possible; they tried their best not to stick Lucy in the middle of them. 

His sister more than happy to offer at times but Simon felt bad especially when she was busy, he was just relieved that his relationship with Adeline hadn't added any tension between her and Lucy. 

Adeline had been his biggest concern when he'd heard that his deployment would finally happen. It had been her that he'd called first when he'd been informed that he'd be heading to the Helmand Province for ten long weeks alongside her brother hoping that their mission would not be revealed to the press. 

Their squad leader had made it more than clear what would happen if they're presence in Afghanistan was reported, they'd be forced to abandon the deployment and returned home rather than risk them becoming targets to the Taliban. 

Simon had known that his plans would put him directly in danger but he'd never considered what that truly meant until now; his connections were the reason he'd be classed as a high class target. 

A lump formed in his throat as he thought about that, pausing in his task of packing his bag for the trip as he tried not to think about what might happen if things did go horribly wrong. 

For the sake of his mother, his siblings and his girlfriend, he could not think that way; he would do everything in his power to come home to them, if it was the last thing that he did in this life.

"Hey? You have a visitor," Lucy said popping her head into the bedroom, a weak smile on her face an she quickly excused herself not wishing to linger; she would have plenty of time to say her own farewells to her big brother. 

Simon paused in what he was doing, a slight frown on his face as he stared at the open door before Adeline appeared; she looked lovely and he was a little surprised to see her. 

"What are you doing here?" Simon asked moving around his bed and approaching Adeline, he always liked when she visited but given the fact that her brother was also deploying in the morning, he had thought she'd be spending the evening with him. 

The last thing that Simon wished to do was to get in the way of her spending some much needed time with her older brother. 

As much as Harry was becoming an increasing pain in his ass, he was still his best friend and he'd be pretty upset if his sister disappeared off to some 'pottery class' rather than spending time with him. 

"Harry's got this thing, his words... Will's out with Catherine and my Dad's at the annual Duchy of Cornwall Christmas party," Adeline explained knowing exactly where his mind had gone.