Chapter Fifty-Two: The University of Chester

18th of September 2006 - Granary Studios, University of Chester

"Chester is such a beautiful place," Charles noted walking the halls that Adeline would call home for this year at least while she studied in Chester, he could hardly believe how quickly this had come upon them.

It seemed like only yesterday that he was holding her hand and walking her to her first day of school, waving politely for the select cameras that had come to document the occasion.

Charles could still remember the day that she'd been born, a shining light in the darkness of his doomed marriage to her mother before the real trouble had set in and the two of them had turned on one another in the worst way possible.

The media had thrilled with the destruction of their marriage, eating up each attack that they encouraged from him and Diana to manipulate them against one another in the worst possible ways.

"I can't believe you're all grown up, I want you to know how proud I am of you," Charles continued, he knew how hard she had worked to get to this point and she hadn't slowed down at all even when on her gap year her book shelf continued to grow.

He had joked about getting her another one for Christmas, although it probably wouldn't have been a bad idea considering every time, he saw Adeline over the summer while they had been in Scotland, she had a new book in her hand.

"This is the kind of thing that your mother would have wanted for you, a typical university experience without the cameras and the attention," Charles pressed on, he knew how much Diana had wanted their children to experience the normal moments of life when they had the chance to do so.

There had been so much that Diana had exposed their children to, trying to give them the sort of lives that royal children had never had before.

Adeline smiled at that, she hoped her mother would be proud of the decisions that she had made and of the person that she had become; she felt even more sure of her path as she did now.

"I think you're going to have a good time here. I want you to study hard and enjoy yourself," Charles instructed her, he didn't want Adeline to completely bury herself in her studies; he wanted her to grow as a person as well.

Stepping out of the private walk way where they'd been talking, Charles lead the way as they approached the main members of the university that they were to meet in front of the press.

It would be the only intrusion that would be allowed by the palace while Adeline was here to study, they had high hopes of replicating William's time at St Andrew's had been.

Following after her father, Adeline shook hands with the dean of the university with a polite smile on her face as the crowd behind her cheered and called out the royals.

Many in attendance had come to see the princess that would live here in the city for the next three years.

The cameras flashing behind them as she spoke with the dean, she could only imagine what they'd have to say about her and her decision to come here.

Pausing for a photo, Adeline held her head high as she brushed down her skirt as she smiled for the cameras; it would be a while before she'd need to do this sort of thing again.

With minor appearances scheduled for while she was at university, her main focus as far as the family was concerned was her degree; she could worry about the future later and what came with her royal path.

"Let's get you moved in shall we," Charles stated offering a wave to the crowds as they departed from the area, they had done what was required of them and now he could focus on getting his daughter settled.