Chapter Eighty-Six: Grace and Favour

25th of April 2014 - Barnwell Manor

Climbing out of the car, Adeline stared up at the Grand II listed house that her grandmother had directed her to that morning; the 40-room eighteenth-century manor house with origins dating back to 1586. 

It had belonged to the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester had lived there until 1995, when they vacated the house and made the move to Kensington Palace. 

Barnwell Manor had been left vacate since then until several weeks ago when the Queen had purchased the manor from the Gloucesters for Adeline and Simon. 

Just as she had gifted Anmer Hall to William and Catherine upon their marriage, Barnwell Manor would be gifted to Adeline and Simon upon their wedding next month. 

The house has four reception rooms, seven principal bedrooms, and six bathrooms. 

Perfect for the family that Adeline and Simon would be starting together, a place that they could use to hide away from the public and raise their family in peace. 

The estate now comprised of 2500 acres with Windsor House Antiques being interested in the estate before they had been out bid by the Queen. 

Simon moved to stand beside Adeline, the house was so different from FitzClarence Manor and he felt like it was the fresh start that they both needed; the family manor at present was filled in his mind with the negativity that his father had brought. 

Despite his mother's attempts, there weren't many happy memories at FitzClarence Manor that Simon could cling to at this time; perhaps it was time for a fresh start. 

The current plan was for the manor to be used as a family home for him and his siblings, a place where his mother could continue to call home while Simon and Adeline settled into more secure lodgings. 

Barnwell Manor would be their royal country retreat near the village of Barnwell, about 2.5 miles south of Oundle, in Northamptonshire. 

Then there was their city residence, with Lucy settled into FitzClarence House now it only seemed right that they made their move out for a better protected location. 

The Queen had offered them York House for their London residence, which had been a former residence of Adeline's father; a place that she'd had many fond memories of even after her mother's death. 

There had been talk of offering her the former apartment that her mother held at Kensington Palace but Adeline like William had refused it; it was a place that neither of them felt comfortable in returning to.

The couple had agreed to pay for the redecorating costs themselves, both of them more than aware that people were already complaining about the cost of their wedding. 

Even if the cost of it was being covered by Prince Charles, he had insisted upon it and it was tradition that the family of the bride would pay for such things even if it was rather outdated these days. 

"What do you think?" Adeline asked taking Simon's hand, her eyes staring up at the large building that would now serve as their country home. 

It felt so strange to think about and she honestly couldn't believe that this was all happening, she had never imagined that her family would be so generous towards them. 

Everything felt unreal and Adeline knew that there were still a lot of talks happening behind the scenes that even she wasn't aware of for her wedding; details that needed to be discussed in preparation for the big day. 

"I think we'll be happy here," Simon replied wrapping his arm around Adeline's shoulder, he didn't want the sadness from the past to drag them down. 

His estates were filled with the dark shadow that his father had left behind and Simon refused to allow them to affect his marriage to Adeline; they deserved their happiness, they deserved to have their lives how they wanted them.