Chapter Eighty-Seven: The Rehearsal Dinner

23rd of May 2014 - Clarence House

"Adeline darling," the Dowager Countess of Munster called moving to hug her future daughter-in-law, she pressed a kiss to Adeline's cheek and held her close unable to believe how fast the wedding had descended upon them.

It was hard to believe that her eldest son was getting married in a matter of days, Anne had never thought that she would really see the day.

Simon had given her no reason to believe that he would ever settle down and marry before Adeline had come into his life.

She assumed like many of the family that he would spend his days as a bachelor refusing to settle down, the title would then have passed to Rupert who was pretty settled with his girlfriend at this time.

"I am so glad that you were able to make it," Adeline said smiling, she hugged Anne tightly knowing that she hadn't been well as of late; the diagnoses had come as a shock to the entire family really.

Although Anne insisted on keeping it quiet so not to detract from the wedding, her diagnose was not for public knowledge and she wanted to keep it that way for as long as she could.

"How are you feeling?" Adeline asked when they pulled apart, she didn't want Anne to feel like she had to be here if she wasn't up to it.

The press were outside taking pictures, the arrival of so many guests for the private rehearsal dinner that Prince Charles was throwing attracted a lot of attention.

This was the first celebration for the wedding of the only daughter of Prince Charles and Diana, Princess of Wales; it was the first chance to see the guests that would be attending the wedding.

From the Windsors, the extended family of royals, the Spencers to the FitzClarence, Hervey, Robinson and Makin families; there were many friends also in attendance for the evening.

"I am well," Anne insisted smiling, she was doing her treatment and it was going well; she refused to allow cancer to ruin her life and she was fighting with everything that she had.

Anne refused to die, she wanted to see all her children married and spoil her grandchildren; she wanted to enjoy her life and she was determined to do so especially since she was free now of her unhappy marriage.

"May I introduce my mother, Esther Hervey Marchioness of Bristol," Anne said stepping aside so that her mother could approach Adeline; it was the first time the two women were meeting.

Simon's ninety-three year old grandmother had also made the trip to London from her home in the Bahamas where she had retired to, she had longed to be closer to her extended family after so many years in the UK.

Esther Hervey was a remarkable woman, she had never remarried after her marriage to the late Marquess of Bristol had come to an end although she had been in a long term relationship with her lover Oscar Robinson.

It was from that marriage that her only son was born, George who was also in attendance with his wife and their children who would be apart of the bridal party for the wedding.

Esther was one of fourteen children born to Jonathon and Elizabeth Makin, she was their nineth child and she had missed her siblings a lot while she had lived in London; all of which had been invited to the wedding if they were still alive.

"It is a pleasure to meet you Adeline, I see my grandson has chosen well," Esther stated stepping forward to hug Adeline, she was thrilled to see the first of her grandchildren married.

In all honesty she had never thought she'd live long enough to see any of them wed, she was getting on in her years and she had no intention of living forever.