Chapter Forty: The Engagement of the Prince of Wales

10 February 2005

The Duke of Edinburgh and I are very happy to announce that the Prince of Wales and Mrs Parker Bowles are to marry. We have given them our warmest good wishes for their future together.

Queen Elizabeth II

###

Buckingham Palace

"Congratulations," Adeline said with a smile upon her face as she first hugged her father then she moved on to Camilla, the news had been long awaited and with the press release issued it was official. 

Despite her birthday party last week, this had been the first time that Adeline had seen Camilla since before Christmas and her father's proposal; school came first and no one could blame her for that when she was so close to finishing school. 

"Thank you," Camilla replied, she still couldn't quite believe it, she had never thought that they would be able to marry; contenting herself to spending her life just as Charles' partner. 

It had been most relieving to see that their plans to wed were being approved, she had feared that they would be told no and Charles was too much of a gentleman to pull what his great uncle had done to marry her. 

Not that Camilla would have accepted him in such a way, it was his duty to his country and the realms that his mother governed that made him who he was. 

Without it, Camilla wasn't sure he could be happy especially when he had always done what was asked of him; she would never forgive him if he dumped the responsibility of being heir on William at such a young age. 

Her engagement ring was a Windsor family heirloom that had belonged to the Queen Mother, a 1920s platinum setting with a square-cut central diamond flanked by six diamond baguettes. 

It was perfect in her opinion, she hadn't wanted anything that stood out too much or was too flashy; she would have been happy with anything that Charles had given her. 

In support of their engagement, the Queen and Prince Philip had insisted on throwing this little get together; all their children had been invited along with their partners, although it seemed like only Adeline was single at this moment in time. 

Camilla had pondered if allowing Adeline to invite a friend to the wedding would be appropriate, someone her own age that she could hand out with since all the other children would be allowed to bring a plus one.

Tom and Laura would be bringing their partners Sara and Harry, it was expected that William would be attending with a Catherine and Harry would likely bring Chelsy with him since the two of them seemed to have patched things up. 

That left Adeline on her own to either third-wheel with one of her brothers and their date or spend most of the evening alone. 

Adeline excused herself once she had said her congratulations so that they could continue to greet people, she glanced around to see if she could spot either of her brothers who were meant to be in attendance tonight but she had no luck. 

Tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear, Adeline made her way across the room to where there was a bench and plopped herself down; she tucked her right foot behind her left and smoothed down the pink floral dress that she was wearing. 

Her eyes wandering around the room as she watched all the grown ups talk and mingle, she felt rather out of place at the engagement party. 

"Mind if I sit here?" asked a woman that Adeline didn't quite recognise, she looked almost as awkward as Adeline felt and looked rather relieved when Adeline invited her to sit.