Chapter Four: Diana, Princess of Wales

6th of September 1997 - London, England

Nothing felt right when Adeline got up the next morning, the world seemed far too quiet even with the beautiful weather that they had been gifted; however, there was no ignoring the crowds lining the streets now. 

The nanny had woken her early that morning, a sad smile on her face as she slowly prepared Adeline for the day ahead; another black dress had been put on and her hair had been styled perfectly. 

Breakfast had been a quiet affair, there had only been her brother Harry; everyone else seemed to be walking around in a daze as they slowly prepared for the day ahead. 

Adeline held onto the nanny's hand as they walked down the steps to the car, it was the only moment of peace that the little girl would get before she was exposed to the world outside. 

It was still early in the morning but there could be no delay, Diana's coffin was expected to leave Kensington Palace just after nine o'clock and start its journey to Westminster Abbey. 

On top of her coffin would lay four wreaths of white lilies from Diana's brother, the Earl Spencer, and her children, William, Harry, and Adeline. 

William was already waiting downstairs, he looked rather uncomfortable in his suit and he did not say anything as the nanny stopped by his side; he offered Adeline a weak smile before Harry was ushered along to join them. 

Across from the three siblings stood their uncle, he barely offered them a glance seemingly lost in thought as they waited for the rest of the party to arrive. 

They did not have to wait long before Charles arrived, he ignored his former brother-in-law in favour of checking on his children; he had heard quite enough of what Earl Spencer had to say about all of this. 

Each looked older than the years dressed in black and Charles was hopeful that there would not be a cause for them to wear such a colour again for many years; it made them look pale and he did not like it. 

He prayed that he would not have to see them like this again, he intended to live a long life and they would not know grief like this again if he could help it. 

These did not seem to be the joyful children that he and Diana had raised, even though he knew that there was little for them to be joyful about when they were about to attend their mother's funeral.

Taking a deep breath, Charles checked his watch and saw that it was time to get into the car since the coffin would leave Palace soon and they had to meet it at St James Palace; from there they would follow it on its journey to the Abbey. 

"It's time to go," Charles said softly, his eyes taking in each of his children one more time before he started to herd them towards the car; he was almost glad that they did not have to share with Spencer on the way there. 

He did not care much for the man and he could only imagine what he would have to say during the funeral; he could only hope Spencer would remember that his nephews and niece had lost their mother. 

No matter what might have occurred between the two families, the children were what mattered most today and his words could easily further upset them; it was not the time to pick silly fights over things that did not matter anymore. 

Climbing into the car, Charles made sure that his three children were secure before climbing in himself; he ignored the look that Spencer gave him as he moved to get into his own car knowing that his speech would likely say it all. 

There was so much happening today and Charles could not deny that he would be relieved when it was over; he could think about trying to give his children a sense of normalcy again.