Chapter Forty-Four: Friends Never Say Goodbye

18th of August 2005 - Marlborough College

Chewing on her fingernails as she waited in line to get her results, Adeline couldn't help but feel anxious about her results that she was only moments away from getting. 

It felt like an age ago that she had sat in this very hall to sit her exams and now here she was getting her results that would decide her entire future. 

Adeline knew that her plans for university all rested on her results now, she was still expected to take her gap year no matter what happened today. 

She would either follow in William's footsteps after her gap year, or she would follow in Harry's; although she knew that it was not expected of her to serve like her brothers would. 

Inching closer to the front of the line, Adeline glanced around trying to spot any of her friends or anyone that she recognised for that matter; they had all agreed to meet here so that they could share this experience together. 

However, the assembly hall was filled with so many students getting good news and bad; tears of sadness being shed, by those who hadn't done as well as they hoped and tears of joy for those who had gotten into their chosen university. 

Finally reaching the front of her line, Adeline nervously stepped towards the teacher who was seated behind the desk with piles of envelopes laid out before her with people's results inside. 

"Adeline Wales," she whispered giving her name to the teacher, her hands feeling sweaty as she watched the teacher search for her envelope before she handed it to her. 

Adeline mumbled a quick thank you before exiting the line and moving out of people's way, her eyes catching on the printed letters of her name on the envelope as she moved through the crowds of students. 

Her heart pounded in her chest and her stomach tied itself into knots as she thought about what it could possibly mean if she had flunked her exams. 

There was no way that she could probably do as badly as Harry had done, her older brother had been a terrible student and she had heard whispers that he'd had extra help to make sure he'd be able to attend Sandhurst as planned. 

"Addy!" Mary shouted waving her over to where Melissa and a couple of their other friends were waiting with their own results; all looking rather nervous as they waited for her to join them. 

Everyone had been far too nervous to open theirs just yet and they had all agreed to open their results together.

Adeline looked relieved to see her friends and wasted no time in walking over to them, she ducked and dodged around other students before she reached the small, covered area where her friends were waiting for her. 

The hall was rather packed with students from her year all getting their exam results at once, thankfully it was only those who had taken their AS and A Level exams that she had to moved around. 

It would be another week before the GCSE students got their exams and Adeline was so thankful to be passed that stage in her life. 

The idea of another two years of compulsory school made her want to scream right now, especially if it meant that she'd have to take maths again. 

Nervous smiles passed between the group of friends, all hesitant and nervous to open their results that they had all collected just as Adeline had done. 

Slowly one by one, the group started to open their results to see if they had managed to get into the universities that they had applied to in the spring. 

"I got into Lincoln College," Mary squealed throwing her hands up in the air, she couldn't believe that she had done so well and she had made the points that she needed for her place there.