Chapter Five: Returning to Normality

10th of September 1997 - St Andrew's School, Pangbourne

Staring out of the window, Adeline was silent as she was driven to her school for the first day; her grandfather had been the one nominated to take her since her father was taking her older brothers to school. 

The fact that she was heading back to school so soon after the funeral made Adeline nervous but her father had insisted that it was for the best that things returned back to normal as quickly as possible. 

Adeline would be boarding at the school just as she had done while her mother was alive, she had good friends here and her father had told her that it would be good for her to return. 

Pulling up outside of the school, Prince Philip stared up at the school that Diana had chosen for Adeline; he could only hope that it would continue to be a positive influence on her now that her mother was gone. 

"Did you remember to pack everything?" Prince Philip asked climbing from the car, he ignored the looks that people gave him as he focused on Adeline who had climbed out of the car after him. 

There were always going to be people staring and people would do so more than ever now that Diana had passed; it would be a while before they would stop talking about what had happened. 

"I did," Adeline replied quietly, she did not like that people stopped to whisper about her when they saw her; it had been bad enough when her mother was alive and she could not imagine what it would be like now. 

Many children that she did not know looked at her, some whispering while others just looked sad; it unsettled Adeline greatly and she wished that she did not have to come back to school. 

"Your Royal Highness," Jeremy Snow, the head teacher, greeted moving towards the two royals with a smile on his face at seeing the Duke of Edinburgh. 

He had been surprised when his secretary had burst into his office with the announcement that they had arrived; it was a busy day for them and there were many students arriving today. 

"We had worried after what happened that Adeline wouldn't be returning to us here at St Andrews," Jeremy said with a kind smile, he had been shocked to hear what had happened to Diana and it had broken his heart.

He recalled fondly how she was always bringing Adeline to school and picking her up when there was a term break, a smile on her face and she took part in school events when she could; she was always so kind and the world had lost one of the kindness people it had. 

"Her father wishes for her to remain here," Prince Philip replied shaking the man's hand, it was Charles's plan that she finished her schooling her before she moved on. 

Her brothers both attended Eton College now and he had hopes that Adeline would move on to Marlborough College when she turned thirteen if everything continued to go well. 

The headteacher nodded his head, many students came and went from the school and he was sure that Adeline had a great future ahead of her; he would be watching most eagerly to see how she turned out. 

Moving aside so that Prince Philip could help Adeline settle into her dorm, the headteacher bid them farewell before moving onto the next students that he could greet. 

Adeline did not say much as they made their way to her dorm room, the stares did not die away and she doubted that they would anytime soon; her mother's death was still fresh in everyone's minds and would be for some time. 

Prince Philip lead the way, his eyes taking in the route to Adeline's dorm room; he had to admit that he was pleased with the school that Diana had chosen for her daughter.