Chapter Thirty-Nine: Adeline's 18th Birthday

3rd of February 2005 - Highgrove House

"Adeline darling there you are," called a voice snapping Adeline out of her thoughts as she helped herself to the buffet that was on offer; it had been decided that a quiet celebration would be thrown since it was the middle of the week. 

Close friends and family had been invited and Adeline was thankful for that, she was so focused on her studies and she had a few deadlines for her coursework coming up soon. 

Two women approached her with smiles on their faces, she had expected to make their excuses in not attending; it was always a little awkward when her mother's side of the family came to visit especially after her uncle's speech at the funeral. 

"Aunt Jane," Adeline greeted pressing a kiss to each of the cheeks of Jane Fellowes, Baroness Fellowes who seemed pleased at the greeting of her niece. 

It had been far too long since she had last seen Adeline and she understood that Adeline had been busy with school, it was usual that they tended to see one another at birthdays and the like. 

"Aunt Sarah," Adeline greeted pressing a kiss to each of the cheeks of Lady Sarah McCorquodale, the older of her two aunts had a tight smile on her face as she took in the gathering. 

Coming to Highgrove was always difficult for her especially when she thought about it being the home of her late sister; she wished that there was more she could have done to help her sister. 

"You look so grown up," Jane fussed with a smile, she could not believe that Adeline was eighteen already; it seemed like only yesterday that Dianna was showing her off after she had been born. 

The happiness that her sister had felt at final having a daughter could be seen on her face, something that Jane had hoped would flow into her marriage. 

However, that was not meant to be, Diana and Charles had been too different and the damage to their marriage had already been done; it was good that they had separated before they could truly hurt their children with their fighting. 

"Your Uncle Charles is around somewhere," Sarah noted knowing that her brother had been warned to be on his best behaviour, tonight was about Adeline and that's what was important. 

Any grudge that he held against her father would have to be ignored, even if Sarah had pointed out how much of a hypocrite Charles was being in all of this. 

It was amazing how short his memory was about their sister, he seemed to have made her an angel in his mind and his own actions weren't any better. 

Charles had refused Diana sanctuary when she had pleaded for it, she had wanted to come home after her divorce to recuperate away from the crowd but that had not been possible. 

Despite their divorce her former husband had given her the space that she had needed, he had vacated Kensington Palace and allowed her to remain with their children. 

"Did you get everything you wanted for your birthday?" Jane asked trying to ease the tension, she loved visiting her niece and nephews; she was always just a phone call away if they needed hr for anything. 

While her brother and the public seemed to cling to the past, she was determined to be as supportive as possible for the sake of William, Harry, and Adeline; just as her sister would have wanted them all to do. 

"I did. Granny and Grandpa got me some new riding gear, Dad got me the books that I've been wanting," Adeline said with a large smile, her love for reading had not diminished even as she got older and she had spent time studying. 

It seemed like the only time that her nose wasn't buried in a book these days was when she went for a ride around Windsor with her grandparents. 

Adeline had been riding since she could walk, it was natural to her and she could see why her aunt and cousin had gone on to compete; it was something they all had in common.