Chapter Sixty-One: Reunion Date Night

1st of March 2008 - Clarence House

"You're seriously going to your pottery class," Harry muttered annoyed as he popped his head around the door and peered at Adeline, a frown set up his face as he watched her dress for the evening.

This was the last thing that he had expected when he had returned from ten weeks away was for his sister to ditch him on the first real night back that he'd had in London.

"I am," Adeline confirmed checking her hair in the mirror, barely paying any mind to her older brother who remained completely oblivious to the fact that she had never attended a pottery class in her life.

Nor would she dare tell him the truth about what she was actually doing, she was careful to never leave her phone where Harry might discover it and look through it; she wasn't sure how well he would handle the news that she was dating his best friend.

It was slowly becoming a source of conversation between the couple about when would be a good time to break the news to Harry that they had been dating for nearly two years now.

Harry huffed and shook his head, leaning against the door frame as he stared at Adeline; he didn't know what it was but something seemed different about Adeline as of late.

His blue eyes sweeping over her form as he tried to work out what it was that had changed about her, it hadn't been a sudden change when he thought about it, more something that she seemed to grow into.

"Are you seeing someone?" Harry asked bluntly, a frown set upon his face as he moved towards her with his arms crossed; there was a pit in his stomach as he thought about the idea.

It wasn't like his sister had much luck when it came to men, he only had to think about how the last guy had treated her and he never wanted to see her treated like that again.

Adeline went still as she stared into the mirror, her eyes moving to look at her brother's reflection as she schooled her features as not to give anything away.

"No," Adeline denied hoping that she sounded convincing enough, she set down her eyeliner and stepped back away from her make-up table; she turned on the spot to face Harry and prayed that nothing gave it away.

She wanted to break the news with Simon at her side rather than alone, that way they could both be prepared for however he reacted.

There was a moment of silence between the two siblings, neither saying a word as Harry searched Adeline's face; his eyes squinting to try and see if there was any falseness to her words.

"Good," Harry muttered nodding his head, when he was satisfied as he unfolded his arms and stuffed his hands into his pockets; a part of him relieved that there was no guy distracting her away from her studies when Adeline had so much to do.

There would be plenty of time for her to fool around later, there would be plenty of idiots that would do anything for a chance to date a princess and try their shot at getting their offspring into the line of succession.

Sometimes they were even lucky enough to get a title out of it.

"There will never be anyone good enough for you," Harry continued wanting her to understand that she was better than any man that might throw himself at her.

If he was honest with himself, Adeline had a horrible taste in men and was likely to end up like their great-aunt Margaret; her good years wasted on men that didn't deserve her time or even to be in her presence.

"Not even one of your friends," Adeline teased trying to lighten the mood, her heart pounding as she tried to gauge his reaction to the joking suggestion to the idea that she was dating one of his friends.