Chapter Seventy-Three: The 8th Earl of Munster

22nd of November 2011 - St Mary's Parish Church, Hampton

Climbing from the car, the Earl of Munster took a deep breath as he stared at the coffin of his father as it was removed from the hearse ahead of him; it seemed unreal that he was standing here right now. 

The last few weeks had felt like some sort of dream, he had never thought that this was possible that at twenty-seven years old that he would be in this position; that he would now be the 9th Earl of Munster and his father would be gone. 

His mother was now a Dowager, looking to him as the head of their family and she had not been the same since the news had broken that his father had died. 

He startled from his thoughts as Adeline gave him a squeeze of the hand, she stood by his side as they watched the coffin being removed from the car and prepared to head into the church. 

It had been his father's upmost desire to be buried here and not at the local family church where all his children had been baptised but here at St Mary's where the 1st Earl of Munster had been laid to rest. 

That had always been his desire, the one wish that he wanted more than anything; he wanted to be here with his ancestor away from all that he had ever truly known so people would remember him. 

Squeezing her hand tightly for a moment more, Simon was reluctant to let go but knew he had to; he moved to link arms with his mother, who despite being ten years younger than her now late husband looked like she had aged ten years since his death. 

Black was not a colour that suited the Dowager Countess, a veil covering her face to hide away her tears; she needed to be strong for her children. 

Susan and Rupert were still teenagers, both having to attend their father's funeral and they were both putting on brave faces as they walked behind their older siblings and mother.

Simon and his mother were the first to enter the church after the coffin, behind them were Adeline and Lucy who had linked arms when Simon had let go of her hand. 

Then it was Rupert and Susan, the two younger siblings already had tears falling as they followed behind their father's coffin; the weather had been fair to them at least on such a sorrowful day. 

The congregation made their way inside following the mourning family as they followed after the coffin, the Cambridges, Harry and a few of mutual friends had also come to pay their respects to the late Earl of Munster.

Adeline released Lucy who moved to take her seat upon the front row of the pews along with the rest of her siblings and her mother while Adeline slipped into the row behind them. 

She didn't feel right sitting amongst the family when she wasn't family yet, she sat behind Simon and Lucy as the rest of the mourners took their seats. 

William and Catherine sat themselves by Adeline, with Harry seated at the end of the aisle; the foursome were silent as the doors to the church were closed as the funeral was underway. 

"We are gathered here today to mourn the passing of Edward Anthony Frederick FitzClarence, 8th Earl of Munster, Viscount FitzClarence and 8th Baron Tewkesbury," the vicar stated solemnly, his eyes peering over the top of his glasses at the mourners. 

The church had filled up nicely with people that had come to pay their respects to the late Earl, he had been a man of many talents and while he had been rather prickly; it was good to see all these people come to pay their respects. 

"He was husband to Anne, father to Simon, Lucille, Susan and Rupert and a friend to many," the priest continued on, nodding to each person as they named them and offering a reassuring smile to the mourning family.