Chapter Eighteen: Camilla and Adeline's Day Out

18th of August 1999 - York House, London

"Are you sure about this?" Charles asked looking to Camilla as she made sure that she had everything, he had insisted on giving her some money in case Adeline saw anything that she wanted. 

A part of him was thrilled that they were spending time together but he could not help but worry what people might say if they saw them together; public opinion was very much against them now that Diana was gone. 

"More than sure... you can spend the day with the boys and I can get to know Adeline better," Camilla insisted making sure everything was in her bag, she did not want him thinking that he could tag along especially with what she had planned. 

It would be better if they were alone and she had a feeling that she would be able to talk to Adeline a lot better without Charles hovering around all the time. 

"If you are sure dearest," Charles grumbled conceding just as Adeline appeared, he was pleased that she did not keep them waiting and she was ready to leave so that her and Camilla could leave for their trip. 

Camilla stared at the outfit that she was wearing and knew without a doubt that it had been something that Charles had gotten for Adeline; there was no way that Diana would have bought her a tartan skirt and baggy green jumper. 

It looked very much like something that Charles wore when they were up in Scotland for the holidays and Camilla could only imagine what people would say if they could see Adeline dressed like this. 

As much as Camilla hated to admit it, Diana had always had a wonderful sense of fashion and had prided herself not just in what she wore but how her children had dressed. 

Adeline had always been dressed with care and her outfits reflected her mother even more than whatever the boys had been wearing; something that became more apparent now that Diana was gone. 

Charles clearly had no idea what to do with a daughter, his family stepping back to allow him to raise his children but nothing would prepare him for how different raising Adeline would be to her brothers.

"Are you all set?" Charles asked moving over to his daughter, he clasped his hands behind his back knowing that he had some time planned with her brothers in the gardens; he was certain that a day outside would be good for them all. 

Harry had thrown a strop when he had heard that Adeline was going out with Camilla, it had not been pretty and Charles wished that he had some way of getting his son to understand. 

Adeline nodded her head, she was sure he had gone over the rules of the trip with her more times than she could count since she had agreed to go and spend the day with Camilla. 

She could not remember the last time that she had done something like this, she had always been lumped together with her brothers for such trips and it felt refreshing to have a break from both of them. 

As much as she loved her brothers, the summer holidays were a bit of a stretch for her and Adeline was looking forward to a short break from them both. 

"Now remember. You must behave yourself and do as Camilla says," Charles insisted, he still wasn't completely sure that this was a good idea and he worried about what others would say if they knew. 

It was still strange to think that they were heading off on a girls day out, he could not imagine what they might get up to and he had insisted that not too much money was spent on such a trip. 

He did not think they would need to buy much and he couldn't imagine that Adeline would need a lot of things; she had a room full of stuff and he was certain that having more books would break her book shelf.