Chapter Sixty-Two: The Viscount Who Loved Her

23rd of March 2008 - Windsor Castle

"You look nervous," William noted approaching Adeline as they made their way back towards the castle after the easter church service, the two of them walking slightly ahead of Harry who was talking with some of their cousins. 

The warm spring weather was a welcome change and it was the first time in a long time that the majority of the royal family had been able to come together before the up and coming royal weddings. 

Peter Phillips was set to get married in May with Rose Windsor was set to get married in July, it was the first set of weddings for most of the younger royals would attend. 

It was also a stark reminder about her own future that pushed Adeline to consider her own path, she and Simon had talked about their future and they were pretty much on the same page about what they both wanted. 

"We're telling Harry today," Adeline whispered quietly so that only William could hear, she smiled to the crowds that had gathered to see the royals on their walk back to the castle after the service. 

There was a lunch planned and it was quite the gathering, it was hard to believe that the year was passing them by so quickly with summer quickly approaching and her final year starting in only a few months. 

Her graduation was set for April the following year and Adeline couldn't quite believe that she was nearly done with her education. 

Her father and grandparents would be in attendance as they had been when William had graduated from St Andrews, Simon would be attending with his mother to see Lucy graduate officially. 

"Are you sure that's a good idea," William murmured offering a look back at Harry, he knew that Adeline couldn't hide it forever but dropping the news on Harry was never going to come easily. 

It would likely only end in tears and put a damper on the approaching summer plans, nothing was being left to chance and William feared how Harry might react to the news that his best friend was dating his sister. 

"No. But Simon and I have been together for two years in May and we can't hide it forever, it's time to tell him before things get anymore serious," Adeline replied straightening up, this was something that they had to do and there was no more putting this off.

After William had discovered them earlier in the month, Adeline and Simon had decided that they had to tell Harry; it was better off coming from them rather than him to find out from someone else. 

"At least there'll be witnesses if he decides to murder Simon," William joked knowing that perhaps having others around would ease the impending disaster that was brewing when Adeline went through with telling him. 

He loved his sister and would speak up when required to do so, William knew that sometimes you couldn't help who you fell for; he knew that from experience and like his father believed that they should be able to make their own choices in who they should be dating and eventually marrying. 

The three of them had seen what an arranged marriage could do to people, it hadn't worked for their parents and had ended badly for all involved upon looking back at the wreck of a marriage. 

Adeline shook her head, not feeling amused in the slightest about his joke when it was a real possibility that Harry would try to kill Simon when he found out what had been going on. 

Simon had warned her when they first started going out that Harry had made it more than clear that he should stay away from her, he had refused to let his friend dictate who he could go out with so had asked her out anyway. 

"It'll be fine, I'll step in if needed," William offered comfortingly, his arm wrapping around Adeline's shoulders for a moment of comfort knowing that this wasn't going to be easy.