Chapter Thirty-Five: Broken Arm, Broken Trust

5th of October 2004 - Great Western Hospital, Marlborough

Sitting in the hospital waiting room as she cradled her right arm, Adeline couldn't help but feel rather nervous as she glanced occasionally at the doors while the protection officers stood around her. 

After checking in to A&E of the local hospital, Adeline had been informed that her father was on his way; no one would tell her if he sounded angry when they had spoken to him on the phone to tell him what had happened. 

Adeline hadn't seen Nick since she'd been pulled from the car, there had been a lot of shouting and apologises before she'd been whisked away by the protection officers while Nick had been left to deal with the police. 

No doubt the accident would make the morning papers, there would be no hiding what had happened and Adeline was not looking forward to what they would say. 

Her stomach churned with the notion of this being linked back to what happened to her mother, the things that people would say about the accident. 

Adeline couldn't quite wrap her head around what had happened, the fact that someone that she trusted so much had done this; had driven in such a way especially knowing her family history. 

It shocked her beyond belief, Adeline honestly didn't know how they could come back from this; her heart ached at the knowledge that it had been Nick that had put her life in danger and right now she didn't know what to do. 

Her faith in him had been shaken, Adeline wasn't sure even sorry could fix this right now and the near ten months that they had been dating had been smooth sailing until this point. 

Sure, Nick had often expressed his displeasure that they had to be followed around by protection officers but Adeline hoped that he would understand especially when they were off campus for school. 

Otherwise, the two of them were pretty much alone in their time together; Adeline loved the times that they had spent in the library or when they'd sneak up onto the roof to get away from everyone. 

Adeline sniffled slightly, the lump in her throat reminding her of the tears that she'd yet to shed, the tears that she refused to cry especially in such a public setting.

The sound of a commotion at the entrance of the A&E department made Adeline look up, her eyes completely focused on the doors until her father stepped inside. 

His face was set with a deep frown and he was in conversation with one of his own security as he entered the hospital, it was all to clear that the phone call about the accident had woken him up. 

Cradling her arm in her good hand, Adeline stayed seated not wanting to cause any further trouble; she couldn't imagine just how her father would react to what had happened. 

Moving swiftly through the hospital waiting room, Charles tried to keep the anger from his face as he approached Adeline; he had almost been sick when he had been informed that his daughter had been in a car crash. 

His mind unable to stop him from thinking back to the night, not even ten years ago when he had heard that Diana had been killed. 

There had been so little information to go on other than Adeline had been whisked away from the scene by the protection officers and straight to the nearest hospital which had only been a couple of minutes away. 

No doubt the press would have a field day when this came to light in the morning, there was little to be done in hiding hospital visits of this sort; the accident when William was eight had proved that. 

It was the look on her face that stopped him from being too upset with her, the look of fright on her face and he thanked the heavens that she'd at least been wearing a seatbelt.