Chapter Fifty-Six: Meeting the Father

29th of May 2007 - Clarence House

"I have a request," Charles stated over breakfast that morning, he stared across the breakfast table towards his youngest; he had wanted to respect her privacy and had waited until both of her brothers were out of the house to broach the subject.

Camilla was away on a morning engagement that would keep her out of the house for most of the day with travel and such; she had announced her plans to visit her son and his wife who were expecting their first child.

They'd recently learned that they were expecting a little girl and Camilla was thrilled with the news that she was going to be a grandmother for the very first time.

Adeline looked up from her toast that she had been spreading some jam that had been delivered the day before from the Duchy of Cornwall on.

"I take it you've been with Mr Pottery Class for a while now," Charles said carefully not wanting to jump to conclusions, in continued pottery classes made him sure that the couple were still together.

Harry had made a joke only days ago that Adeline never seemed to have anything to show for her work at this pottery class so she must not have been very good at it.

It was this comment that made Charles speak up now, he didn't wish to intrude nor step on her privacy in anyway.

"A year last week," Adeline confirmed with a nod of her head, a small smile forming on her face and she couldn't believe that they'd celebrated their first anniversary just the week before.

Simon had been so sweet about it, Lucy helping him decorate the house where they often met for dates and it had been a lovely evening.

The two of them weren't in a rush to let people know of their connection, Adeline knew what sort of pressure would come the more people found out.

She only had to look towards her brother and Catherine, who had recently called it quits after the argument that she had witnessed back in January; although that didn't mean that the press weren't following Catherine's every step.

The papers were often filled with stories on what the former girlfriend of Prince William was doing although it did seem to ease up compared to when the two of them had been dating.

"Wonderful. I was hoping that I might meet the lad that has been making you so happy," Charles stated nervously, he didn't wish to overstep and he knew that Adeline had always been protective over her dating life.

Even Nick had been a mystery to him for some time and Charles had never been fond of the boy, even after he did meet him; he always seemed to have this attitude when it came to Adeline's royalty and what came with it.

He was ever so thankful that things hadn't worked out for them, more so that it had come from Adeline that they needed to break up; he was proud of her for realising that something wasn't right within her own relationship.

"No pressure. I was thinking of inviting him on the ramble that I'm doing this weekend at Highgrove," Charles explained with ease, he didn't want to pressure them into doing something that they weren't comfortable with.

It didn't have to be this weekend if it was too short notice for them, he was just interested in meeting the boy that made his daughter so happy.

Charles wished to expend the same courtesy that he had done when it came to meeting Catherine and Chelsy to any boy that Adeline was dating; he wanted to treat each of their partners with respect.

Adeline was silent for a moment as she thought about it, she knew that they wouldn't be able to stay hidden forever and it would be better to break the news to her father first before Harry.